ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   1st time buyer - sportsman 700 twin (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/228473-1st-time-buyer-sportsman-700-twin.html)

tgravo2 01-22-2006 12:23 PM

1st time buyer - sportsman 700 twin

I'm looking at getting an 05 Sportsman 700 tiwn. I was really set on getting a Rincon until I went and looked at this quad. I have not driven it yet and will be back to do so.

Questions I have are ones such as relability on the Polaris. I've never owned a Polaris product or know much about them. Is this a proven engine or anything I should know of that people are having problems with?

Also has anyone looked at this quad compared to a Rincon. I'm really curious to see how it rides compared to the Rincon. I've ridden the Rincon on trails already because my Father owns one, and it really rides great. I just love the extra features of the Sportsman and the comfort of sitting on it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

stendori 01-22-2006 01:43 PM

as far as im concerned (to me) the sportsmans are the best riding wheelers because of the irs.ive riden w/ alot of other models like formans, rincons and it seems im always pulling them out of the mud. and they need to take more ass breaks because they get a harded ride. ive owned a 335,500,and now the 800 and all (to me) have a great ride and very reliable to the way i ride.

floodrunner 01-22-2006 01:48 PM

If you’re already familiar with ride of the Rincon I think you’re really in for a treat when you ride the Sportsman. But like anything else, it comes down to how YOU feel about it, not others. We have two ’05 700 EFIs and for the most part we have to roll ‘em to break ‘em. Pay attention to maintenance, including keep the radiator clean if you’re into muddin’ and you’ll find the Sportsman to be a very comfortable, capable and reliable machine.

And welcome to the forum!

tgravo2 01-22-2006 04:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

I'm more into trail riding with just a little mud riding, nothing too severe. I'm sure either bike would be good for what I use it for, but it is very tight trails because of branches etc. and it looks like the sportsman is very well protected compared to the rincon.

zerowick 01-23-2006 12:19 AM

for trails I hear the Rincon is great, with a smooth ride comparible to the Sportsman. the biggest issue with the Rincon is its lack of low gearing for technical trails and utility chores like yard work. the Sportsman on the other hand can work like a horse with incredible low gear pulling power. the Sportsman also has the advantage of AWD, as in ALL FOUR WHEELS RECIEVING POWER AT THE SAME TIME. even for '06 Honda does not offer a machine with a front locker. the traction of the Sportsman is excellent, I pull several hundreds of pounds up slippery hills many days a week and always make the journey. the Polaris is the way to go. don't worry about the belt, they work great in 100+ horsepower snowmobiles right?

wayout 01-23-2006 09:51 AM

Originally posted by: tgravo2
I'm looking at getting an 05 Sportsman 700 tiwn. I was really set on getting a Rincon until I went and looked at this quad. I have not driven it yet and will be back to do so.

Questions I have are ones such as relability on the Polaris. I've never owned a Polaris product or know much about them. Is this a proven engine or anything I should know of that people are having problems with?

Also has anyone looked at this quad compared to a Rincon. I'm really curious to see how it rides compared to the Rincon. I've ridden the Rincon on trails already because my Father owns one, and it really rides great. I just love the extra features of the Sportsman and the comfort of sitting on it.

Any thoughts?
the rincon has a slight better ride,the front end don't hit as hard,shocks are better than struts anyday everybody in the free world knows that..a lot of these guys are right no low gear you have to have low gear, the rincon was build for one reason sport!!!!! as reliable the two are the rincon wins hands down,polaris are high maittence.
Thanks.

zerowick 01-23-2006 01:29 PM

shocks are better than struts anyday everybody in the free world knows that..a lot of these guys are right no low gear you have to have low gear, the rincon was build for one reason sport!!!!! as reliable the two are the rincon wins hands down,polaris are high maittence.

that strut comment is interesting, both shocks and struts have their pros and cons depending on the application. take a look at the automotive industry, struts all over. the suspension on my Sportsman performs very well for me, even when I catch some occasional air, consider me and that machine are over 900 pounds. I wouldn't consider my quad "high maintenance", change engine oil couple times a year, all other fluids once a year, a few grease fittings. the Rincon is probably more water tight with the torque converter trans, but the "wet belt" thing is more fear than fact. as far as maintenance between the two transmissions, hard to say, don't know what the Honda manual says, Polaris says to check the belt. belt is warranted for life and you don't hear about many failures. the Polaris offers EBS that slows the machine down with engine compression, last I knew, Honda was still working on this.