ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Does the 39 PWK carb kill gas mileage? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/228526-does-39-pwk-carb-kill-gas-mileage.html)

16polaris 01-22-2006 11:38 PM

Does the 39 PWK carb kill gas mileage?

Thats the whole point, The bigger the carb the more fuel it's gonna use, just like a 2 barrel carb and a 4 barrel carb.

gunman457 01-22-2006 11:47 PM

Originally posted by: 16polaris
Thats the whole point, The bigger the carb the more fuel it's gonna use, just like a 2 barrel carb and a 4 barrel carb.
No it isn't. If you dump more fuel in it then it needs, your just going to make the fuel mixture to rich and foul out plugs and suffer in performance.

16polaris 01-23-2006 12:02 AM

If your jetted and piped correctly that WOULDN'T happen!

gunman457 01-23-2006 12:20 AM

Let me put it this way. If you didn,t do any engine or exhaust mod's, and you put a bigger carb on it, does the engine need more fuel?

16polaris 01-23-2006 12:48 AM

Thats not what he said, if you read it correctly he is adding an HPD trail pipe, bubba porting, lighter flywheel, sounds to me like the mods are there.

WIscrambler 01-23-2006 01:17 AM

At this point, I usually say thanks for all the replies, but not all the replies were helpful. I know it will take XXX amount of fuel to run with my mods if I have a 27mm carb or a 483902 mm carb. I'm under the impression that fuel mileage will only slightly decrease to compensate for the additional power that the 39 PWK carb will offer.

gunman457 01-23-2006 01:19 AM

Originally posted by: 16polaris
Thats not what he said, if you read it correctly he is adding an HPD trail pipe, bubba porting, lighter flywheel, sounds to me like the mods are there.
I guess your missing the point. All the engine and exhaust mod's he's doing is causing him to need more fuel. The bigger carb doesn't mean more fuel like you say. A bigger carb means more air flow. You get more fuel by changing the jet's bigger, not the bigger carb. Do you understand now.

gunman457 01-23-2006 01:28 AM

Originally posted by: WIscrambler
At this point, I usually say thanks for all the replies, but not all the replies were helpful. I know it will take XXX amount of fuel to run with my mods if I have a 27mm carb or a 483902 mm carb. I'm under the impression that fuel mileage will only slightly decrease to compensate for the additional power that the 39 PWK carb will offer.
Your carb doesn't make power like you think. It helps make your mod's work better. It allows more air and fuel you need to forfill your mod's needs.

16polaris 01-23-2006 07:16 AM

gunman457,
Your carb doesn't make power like you think. It helps make your mod's work better. It allows more air and fuel you need to forfill your mod's needs.

But you stated above that it doesn't deliver more fuel, now your saying it does, when are you gonna get your so called "facts" straight?

conig 01-23-2006 11:33 AM

Originally posted by: gunman457
Like I said before, a bigger carb won't kill your gas mileage, but BIGGER JET"S and any other engine and exhaust mod's will. If anything, it will let it breath easier.
its going to use more fuel, but most of it will be to the ground. becuase they shake fuel out the overflow like theres no tommorrow at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. even jetted correctly(which mine is) you will use more fuel.

just FYI with a pipe and a stock cylinder I ran some drag races against a friend I run 5 times before making a change and 5 times after getting the PWK on and jetting it. each time I would loose by more. the bike is definatly more responsive and felt faster but it just wasn't in these races.

however once I ported the PWK was a neccasity as I could not keep the mikuni's bowl full on fuel no matter what I did.