Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xplorer? Front sprocket 'GONE'

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the Xplorer back last Friday from the dealership.Polaris installed a new concentric drive unit at no charge to me.I have 15 miles on the quad since getting it back from the dealership.

This afternoon,I warmed the engine and did a wheelie.I tried it again and heard the most horrible 'bang bang' from the chain area on acceleration.

Upon further inspection,I noticed the front sprocket would slip right over the chain on acceration,the damn front sprocket is WORN badly.I inspected the rear sprocet,it is fine.

The dealership had the 13 tooth stock front sprocket in stock,it cost me 33 dollars,I installed it and everything is now fine again.Im uncertain what caused this rapid wear on the front sprocket?I have about 750 miles on the quad.The rear sprocket is fine.

Im taking the quad into the dealership in the morning to let them inspect the chain for wear,it has a one yr warrenty.

I keep the chain and sprockets WELL lubed and clean.Any ideas why the front sprocket would all a sudden wear like that?It sure seems like the dealership or myself would of noticed the worn sprocket,
Bill

Old 11-08-2000, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the chain is stretched out, there is your answer. If it isn't you got me. Keeps me wondering. Now, if only they would put the HO engine in the Magnum, lighten it up a little...hmmm. I know I have mentioned this 'wish' before, but maybe Polaris will be inspired. The only other thing would be if you got a sprocket that wasn't properly tempered. Mine is going over 3400 miles & is still going. Not new any more, but hanging in there. I do everything except deep mud. Also there is no sand in the soil around here. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 11-08-2000, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

If the chain is stretched out, there is your answer. If it isn't you got me. Keeps me wondering. Now, if only they would put the HO engine in the Magnum, lighten it up a little...hmmm. I know I have mentioned this 'wish' before, but maybe Polaris will be inspired. The only other thing would be if you got a sprocket that wasn't properly tempered. Mine is going over 3400 miles & is still going. Not new any more, but hanging in there. I do everything except deep mud. Also there is no sand in the soil around here. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 11-08-2000, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, The countershaft sprocket turns many ,many more RPM's than the rear sprocket , An improperly adjusted chain is very hard on this sprocket and I know you were having problems with yours. As for lubrication try to use something which will not attract dirt ,just a simple spray of WD-40 or an equivalent works well. I use the Maxima Chain Wax myself and have found it to be supiorior to any thing else I have ever used. I had my Magnum 425 for nearly 15 months before it was stolen and in 1300 miles only adjusted the chain 3 times and the sprockets looked like new. The chain on my wifes Explorer has never been touched since it left the dealer new. It was purchased in March of this year.
If you do have to replace the sprocket again you may want to consider a sidewinder Stainless steel sprocket set, They are pretty indistructable.

Old 11-08-2000, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Kagey,
so DAMN good to hear from you again.I tried the Max chain wax when the quad was new,it seemed like it left the chain very DRY so I switched to Polaris chain lube,been with it since.

I think you are trying to tell me that the wax is suppose to be dry so it dont attract dirt ect.I mud alot,do you still recommend the wax over the oil?
Bill

Old 11-08-2000, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, I really suppose it would be a matter of personal preference, however with an O-ring chain you are (supposedly)better off with the chain running dry than with a oil type lubricant. When I used the wax it seemed to build up around the links of the chain and in my opinion it helped seal up the O-rings there-by improving the life of the chain and sprockets. In theory the wax is supposed to melt as friction builds up heat on the chain and the melting wax lubricates the surface, as it cools it solidifys and is either slung off or builds back up around the edges of the rollers until it is called again. The life span of an O-ring chain depends upon how long the O-rings can survive ,when they fail the rollers are not far behind, however in your case I do believe your problem sounds as if your adjustment may have been not holding ,leading to a lot of slap in the chain and likely the chain was trying to "climb" the teeth on the sprocket rather than run in them and eventually ripped off the teeth.
Just a note on that-- On my old 300 4x4. I had a problem with the adjustment not holding just before I sold it. I pulled the adjustment bolts out of the cam and discovered that the threads had become corroded and I was unable to tighten them completely due to that fact. A quick clean-up of the threads with a wire brush and a good dose of oil and it tightened right back down. End of that problem.

Old 11-08-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Doesn't the 1 year warranty cover the chain and sprockets ??

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2000, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider

Daboss,
the warrenty is suppose to,thats why the dealership is going to see the quad in the morning.Im pretty persistant,so they probably will get me a new chain and pay for my sprocket to,
Bill

Old 11-09-2000, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Just got back from the dealership and Steve [dealership mechanic] agreed that the quad should have a new chain and sprockets on it.He is calling Polaris on it this wk,
Bill

Old 11-09-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bill it wouldn`t have anything to do with the green spring and all that new wheely power you now have LOL.

Seriously the teeth may have been worn and under normall riding conditions could have lasted a few hundred more miles. Maybe the extra torque of doing wheelies and the harder hit of the green spring just excellerated the wear. Just don`t tell your dealer.
Good Luck!!!

98 Scrambler 500
00 Traailblazer 250

Quick Reply: 2000 Xplorer? Front sprocket 'GONE'