Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gas can holder addition to my custom rack on my 05 Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas can holder addition to my custom rack on my 05 Sportsman

I built a rack to hold gas cans, chain saws and such for my 05 last year. With my wife sitting behind me now-a-days my soft storage bag got bumped back to my built rack. So I was missing a place to carry gas, that wouldn't contaminate my stock plastic racks. ( I don't want any gas smell on my hunting back pack and it gets carried on my front rack) By adding on a slide in gas can holder, (slides into the box tubing on my rack), I have solved the problem of carrying some extra gas. Feel free to check out the photos on my profile page. It might take a couple of hours for the photos to get approved but they will be up soon.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

You can find another method of carrying extra fuel here.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen the spare gas can holders made by Quadovator and was wondering if it will work with the sway bar dissconnect mod that it have?

Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

I guess that depends on the apparatus involves in your system of disengagement. The perch and tank don’t interfere with the vertical movement of the sway bar connections in the stock form. They mount on the sway bar tube between the frame and the outer end of the tube where the arm connects to the vertical spacer.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Click on my camera and it shows my disconnect.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

From that rear view I sure can’t see any reason the Quadovator kit wouldn’t work on your swaybar. It looks like all you have is studs, pins and a sleeve for a vertical link.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

floodrunner, Those quadovator's look pretty slick but the gas can seems pretty exposed to mud, dirt and any rogue branches that the rear wheel may kick up. Then again I've been accused of overbulding and over thinking some things.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a 2000 Sportsman with double tube rear and front bumpers. I'm looking for a way to carry extra fuel without spending the big bucks for a Kolpin fuel pack, but I need to be able to carry more than just 1 or 2 gallons. I can get jerry cans and holders at the army surplus store for $25. I'm thinking about mounting the holder (like the ones on the backs of jeeps) to the rear bumper and strapping the jerry can there. What do you all think about carrying 5 gallons of fuel just behind, but a little above the left rear tire? Do you think that would be too much weight, too far back? On short trips I can strap the can on the front rack, but on long camping trips, I need all the rack space I can get.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

I built winch mounts on both front and rear bumpers, they are a 1" receiver style. Then I built a holder for a 5 gallon plastic gas can that I can take on and off as needed. Also holds a nice sized cooler when you dont carry the gas can. I will try to figure out this picture posting and show some.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Range Rover

99ajax, I used to bulid two types of gas/cooler racks for 2004 sportsman's. Both types could hold 5 gallons of fuel. They were mounted directly behind the stock back rack. If you are climbing anything really steep you may want to be a little cautious. Also, make sure that the bumper bolts are hardened and not the cheapo kind. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Gas can holder addition to my custom rack on my 05 Sportsman