Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Does anyones 800...............................................

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyones 800...............................................

Does anyones 800 shift easily? When i say easily, i meen easy as if the motor was off? There should be no reason for the hard shifting that is so popular with Polaris' . Im bound and determand to find out what the deal is.
I have an 06 800 that is only a couple of months old and i really didnt want to start tearing it apart and shouldnt have to but the hard shifting drives me nuts.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't the 800, but experienced the same thing with my SP700. Mine got gradually worse with about 350 miles on it. Two trips to a terrbile dealer here in Greensboro, NC, and $235, and no fix. Took it back to the dealer where the purchase took place and fixed for $40. Chances are you have a clutch misalignment issue. Take it back and have it fixed (hopefully under warranty). Mine shifts smooth as butter, just like the day I bought it.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

My 06 700 also shifts hard. I think that is the nature of the beast. The 800 I've riden also had the same issues.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

DamnYankee,
Was your just hard to shift or did it creep too?
I did take mine back to the dealer once (under warranty) and it didnt help.
As far as im concerned , if they couldnt fix it the first time then chances are pretty good the second time will be the same. Mine didnt shift easy from day one but the dealer assured me that it would get easier.Well just the opposite happened. Mine is still under warranty so i may take it to a differant dealer which is 2 hours away but ill gladly take it if they know what theyre doing.
Thanks for your input.
By the way my crappy dealer is in Punxsutawney PA.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

D-Yankee,

Where did u purchase in NC? I have heard bad things about the dealers there in gboro. There will be a new dealership there in just a few weeks to month. He is going to specialize in quality service. Check him out at www.atvnews.com in the polaris forums. His call is ktmguy70.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine was the same, took one shim out from behind the secondary and it's now fine.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: forty1
Mine was the same, took one shim out from behind the secondary and it's now fine.
Is it as easy to shift when the engine is running as it is when the engine is off?
Also , if you did it yourself , after you took out the shim did the belt spin at all while the engine idleing?

Old 02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had no issues when it was new, but noticed progressively harder shifting after the 350 mile mark. Got to the point that I was physically hurting my wrist hitting on the shifter, and ended that you could not shift when it was hot unless you shut it off. SRS Motorsports here in Greensboro told some BS about sagging motor mounts, improper idle, and having to shim the clutches. Helped a little the first time, but after getting it hot, same old thing. Second trip to SRS resulted in a 2 week wait for them to order additional shims, and some more excusses, and no improvement at all. Took back to Hilltop Cycle in VA (my old dealer 2 hrs away), and he had no explaination what SRS did, and said he tore it apart and put it back together the way it was supposed to be. Its perfect now. It did have a slight tendency to "creep" as well as shifting hard. It essentially was not disengaging the clutches at idle.

Thanks for tip ppope.......... driving 2 hrs for good service sucks, even though I'll do it again in a heart beat.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DamnYankee
I had no issues when it was new, but noticed progressively harder shifting after the 350 mile mark. Got to the point that I was physically hurting my wrist hitting on the shifter, and ended that you could not shift when it was hot unless you shut it off. SRS Motorsports here in Greensboro told some BS about sagging motor mounts, improper idle, and having to shim the clutches. Helped a little the first time, but after getting it hot, same old thing. Second trip to SRS resulted in a 2 week wait for them to order additional shims, and some more excusses, and no improvement at all. Took back to Hilltop Cycle in VA (my old dealer 2 hrs away), and he had no explaination what SRS did, and said he tore it apart and put it back together the way it was supposed to be. Its perfect now. It did have a slight tendency to "creep" as well as shifting hard. It essentially was not disengaging the clutches at idle.

Thanks for tip ppope.......... driving 2 hrs for good service sucks, even though I'll do it again in a heart beat.
Did anyone give you any clue as to why it got worse with time?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Consider that this came from SRS............ They eluded to the motor mounts sagging after break in, but I then asked why they simply didn't replace the motor mounts. Then they started down the path of the manner in which the bike had been ridden, and thats when I effectively told them not to go down that road. Don't get me wrong, I ride all my toys like I stole them, but I maintain then acordingly well. I've riden Polaris products all my life, the same way, hard and fast, and I know when something breaks due to something I have done....... this just was not an acceptable answer.

Quick Reply: Does anyones 800...............................................