Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich? (updated! suggest any potential K&N owners read)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich?

This is a new one on me, wash the filter and try again. Even put the stock one back in for testing.
Does the crankcase breather go to the airbox on a Predator?

Old 04-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

I would just like to respond to the "half decent common sense" comment by saying again, READ MY POST! i specifically said that it was PRE-OILED FROM THE FACTORY. not that i did it. I was meerly coming onto the forums to tell people that my filter was obviously over-oiled from the factory, to ask if this would burn off or if i should clean it and to alert people to the possibility that this may have happenned to me. Please stop the replys which explain that i'm stupid for thinking a K&N filter would make my machine run rich!

Replys to sensible questions: Yes, the factory filter runs better. I haven't had a chance to wash it yet as i have been working overtime and going to school and only get to really ride on weekend and this last one past saw me far from home visiting relatives for easter. Also i don't think the crank case breather goes up there (?) but i know the oil tank one does... however that's not what's causing it, as no oil is in the box at all... it was just over oiled from the factory, i'll clean it, i'm sure it will be fine... Thanks!

Old 04-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

I almost snipped back until I read it again and you said I was sensible. That's a first!

Old 04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok i reread the post and i guess im stupid because you were asking a question about the oiled filter. ok your not stuipid either, now that being said you think the filter has too much oil that its running thru the engine into the exhaust. but theres no oil in the air box? like i said b4 there must have been oil running out of the filter to make it suck into the carb and burn it thru the exhaust. if you felt that is the reason then by all means take it out and clean then reoil, and ty for the heads up on maybe to much oil in the factory kn filters.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for re-reading and replying. sorry for being such a jerk earlier... i guess i was just bitter on the count of being tired (travel +working 3rd shift) thanks for the thoughtful replies from <u>everyone</u> [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

P.S. will be cleaning it soon... whenever i get a couple hrs of spare time... really is weird b/c i aggree that the oil would almost have to be running off and it it isn't... it's also really strange b/c i tested it against the stock paper one (which mine is actually kinda dirty... hence having bought a new one anyway) and the paper one consistantly performed better... will update after i clean it... hopefully by the end of the week.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

i use dish soap, not detergent, to clean all my reuseable air filters, DO NOT, use compressed air to dry, use sunlite and lite wind, if available. the cotton used in th k&n will wick the oil in much better if it is dry...oil lightly, one mist coat, let soak in as long as you can, one more mist cout, install and ride, hope this has been of some help

Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

You should use K&N cleaner and oil on their filter it's alot different than a UNI.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer

k&n cleaner may be different. but i have been using dish soap for as long as there has been reusable filters, with no problems, and at a considerable less cost.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich? (updated! suggest any potential K&N owners read)

well i picked up the cleaning kit from my local dealer for just shy of $15. I cleaned the filter and followed the instructions to a T. so i lightly oiled the one side of the filter and it said to wait 20 mins and check for white spots. there were none, but the other side of the filter was still almost completely white. i considerred oiling this side, but instead decided to just let it sit, and within an hour the entire filter was red on both sides (K&N filter oil is red, the filters themselves are white) anyway, it's a good thing i let it sit instead of adding more oil, i put it in the predator and it runs great. doesn't seem any different from my paper filer, which is good because if you read above you'll see that my K&N filter was over-oiled from the factory and wound up making my machine run very rich. Overall i'd just like to say you guys should keep a look out for this, and be mindful of the fact that even new K&N filters can come with too much oil on them and actually hurt performance SIGNIFICANTLY. Hope this little bit of info helps someone someday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2006, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich? (updated! suggest any potential K&N owners read)

Originally posted by: ScramblerXLE
well i picked up the cleaning kit from my local dealer for just shy of $15. I cleaned the filter and followed the instructions to a T. so i lightly oiled the one side of the filter and it said to wait 20 mins and check for white spots. there were none, but the other side of the filter was still almost completely white. i considerred oiling this side, but instead decided to just let it sit, and within an hour the entire filter was red on both sides (K&N filter oil is red, the filters themselves are white) anyway, it's a good thing i let it sit instead of adding more oil, i put it in the predator and it runs great. doesn't seem any different from my paper filer, which is good because if you read above you'll see that my K&N filter was over-oiled from the factory and wound up making my machine run very rich. Overall i'd just like to say you guys should keep a look out for this, and be mindful of the fact that even new K&N filters can come with too much oil on them and actually hurt performance SIGNIFICANTLY. Hope this little bit of info helps someone someday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Ive never seen i white K&N... usually when they are dry they are purple in color

Quick Reply: How long until a K&N stops making machine run rich? (updated! suggest any potential K&N owners read)