Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500: Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500: Engine Knock

I replaced the steering stem on my wifes 01 Scrambler 2x4. While I had the plastics and tank off I figured I would put in a new spark plug and adjust the valves. I also put a new main jet in and put the clip in a different position on the needle jet. (plugs were black and wet). Thing runs like a champ now. Great off idle doesnt stumble any more and pulls strong.

I keep hearing that annoying knock though. I put my ear to the belt/clutch vent and it is quiet. I put my ear to the crankcase breather ( the round hard plastic tube that runs right up next to the cut out in the tank on the left side of the tank) and thats where the racket is coming from. Now, the tank shroud plastic is not covering / muffling it. Boy it is making a lot of racket. Whats the deal? I checked belt deflection and condition and all is well within spec.

It just doesnt sound right.

Geoff

Old 04-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

that hard plastic tube that comes up into the tank area is the clutch intake tube. it pulls air in there, , allowing airflow thru the clutch housing, cooling the belt and other components and exits under the gas tank( tube from clutch cover.)

if you hear racket coming from that intake tube, it is still more than likely that your primary clutch is in need of a rebuild. there are buttons and parts that need replaced in that primary clutch. once they become worn, they mimmick very well, an engine knock.

so inspect, and listen very closely, to determine what is really causing the noise.........

X

Old 04-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Range Rover

Is this something that the average joe can rebuild?? Or how much does it cost ballpark to do a rebuild (I know it will vary based on what hard parts need to be replaced)

Or better yet...Is there a place that sells rebuilds and you send your worn one in as a core swap out.

Kinda like alternators, starters and the like on automobiles.

Additionally, When I pulled the valve cover to adjust the valves it was clean as a whistle in there. Not a trace of buildup of any kind.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:29 AM
Range Rover

scramblerXrated,

You were right, I took the clutch breather cover off and traced the knock to the primary. There is a lot of play between the spider and outer cage. the buttons are worn and the bolts that hold the flyweights are loose and rattling. I was looking at rebuild kits. Not so bad on price and pretty easy to install. Its the polaris specific tools to disassemble the clutch that break the bank.

I am going to call Rick Ritter tomorrow and see if he has a suggestion.

Thanks,

Geoff

Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take the clutch off and take it to a shop and have it rebuilt.The last one I did ran around $120.I have gotten rebuilt ones off of EBAY from a seller that goes by MowhawkSalvage for $175
when my clutch was totally shot.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Range Rover

ftwflh,

Got some fairly good news today. The scrammy already has all the plastic and belt covers stripped off. I called my Polaris dealer and asked if I could swing by and have them look at the clutch. They said sure and off I went. Got there and found it was totally shot in every way.

However something good did happen. My dealer said "A lot of scrambler owners like to run The EBS clutch so we swap them out at the time of a new sale if the customer wants. Do you want me to see if we have a new " take off". I said sure, and sure enough they had a brand new OEM "take off" primary clutch for my scrambler. He sits it down on the counter with a factory sealed baggie of weights and retainer bolts and says how about $100 bucks? I said fine. We started to settle up and I said. I am going to need a puller also can you sell me one of them? He said, dont worry about that just back it into the shop and we will pop off the old one real quick, and they did.

Can you believe that ! I bought our little polaris 90 there and my father in law just took delivery of a $32,000 kubota so I guess that doesnt hurt matters either. Should I stick with the stock blue spring. I figure whats another 30 bucks and when I have it apart I might as well do it then.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great deal you must have a good dealer.I would put a polaris white or green primary spring and go ahead and buy a clutch puller.You will need to pull the clutches off for a lot of things you do to your quad.