ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/239615-sportsman-500-fuel-gauge.html)

Rcher 05-17-2006 09:52 AM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

My first post here after lurking a few weeks. I just bought a new SP500 EFI and it seems my digital fuel gauge is not reading accurately. It stays on "full" until my tank is actually down below half and then the digital gauge still reads 3/4. I know, I can open the fuel cap and visually check the level but it sure would be nice if the gauge read somewhat accurate.

Is this a problem with the sensor? Has Polaris had problems with this? If I have my dealer replace the fuel tank will this fix it?

Thanks in advance.

NLWarrior01 05-17-2006 10:37 AM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

I've got the same problem with mine and apparently it's very common. Not sure what the reasoning is and I have not bothered to ask my dealer about it. When I can see the centre high spot on the tank while looking through the fill spout, then I figure I'll play it safe and fill it up. So far, once I'm able to see that point, it's usually a little more than 1/2 gone.

I'm getting around the 60 mile mark for that amount of fuel .. usually 8 - 9 litres (little less than 2 gal), so I figure the range on the machine to be near 100 miles, depending on terrain and how hard I'm riding.

I hope there is a fix for it. I've only seen my guage move once, and that was from the dealer fill-up .. it was showing still near to the 1/2 tank mark (one block below) and the machine was nearly empty .. only 2 litres left in the tank!

500EFI 05-17-2006 05:24 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

My gauge dose like that to.

Pretty sure everyone of the 500 EFI's have that fuel gauge problem.

500EFI

six6six 05-17-2006 06:45 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

what about using a mechanical guage from an other model? I have noticed this with mine as well. surely polaris dont have like 15 diff gas caps for their models.

NBsportsman 05-17-2006 07:48 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

The electric fuel gauge has been that way since it came out on the 04.5 models. My 04 500 is good for 100miles in good conditions and I carry an extra 2gal of gas for peace of mind......

ppc686 05-17-2006 08:05 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

My 500 H.O does the same thing, it must be made like an upside down pyramid! When the squares do dissapear, they go fairly fast. I reset my trip each time I fill up so I go by my mileage, one square left and I refill.

LawdogB2 05-17-2006 09:22 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

I think that this is partially due to the irregular shape of the tanks and partly a marketing trick. Auto manufacturers have been doing it for years. It is supposed to offer the perception of better mileage. The market research supposedly indicated that most people keep their tank over half full, thus they make it the long half. The reality is that I always feel a little panic set in when I can watch the needle fall once it starts. Both of mine do it, I just try to keep an eye on it. It's not a big deal to most of us who grew up using the old look and shake method.

dutch105 05-17-2006 11:33 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

For the first time my fuel gauge moved today, this is a major source of frustration for me. Brand new bike, and cannot trust the display.

The first block of the fuel display showed clear, then I parked on a incline and poof with a little polaris magic, the tank showed full again and stayed that way. The tank was down about half way when this silly event happened.

Does anyone know if the control device can be fixed? Is it worth a trip to the dealer to complain? What controls the display, is it a chip or a float in the tank?

With the neck line down in the tank I don't think this tank will allow a cap with float and gauge. Has anyone found such a cap?

Thanks for any input.

BeerTruck 05-17-2006 11:51 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

My '97 500 has no gauge so the look and shake method is all I can do.

My '04 600 has the digital gauge and it works just as it should. I have seen the bars in every range in correlation with what the fuel level looks like when looking in the tank.

Rcher 05-18-2006 12:04 PM

Sportsman 500 Fuel Gauge

I took it in to my dealer and he said he's never had any complaints on the fuel gauge working properly. Polaris is sending me a new fuel tank. Evidently its all self contained ... fuel pump, sending unit and float system. I will re-post the results as soon as the new tank is in.