Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Speedo problems

Old 06-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo problems

I have a 2003 sportsman 500HO. My speedometer has been messing up lately. It seems whenever i go mudding and get done riding, It messes up. Any idea's on whats wrong?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Speedo problems

did you get a bunch of water in the pod to get the electronics went maybe shorting out or corrording the connections. just a thought.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default Speedo problems

No, i did not go in water over the exaust, but it does this alot, ill wash around the sensor today and see if it works. My whole sportsman has dried mud all over it for i have not washed it since i went muddin yesterday. But ill see what works. Thanks

Old 06-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Range Rover
Default Speedo problems

Mine was all screwed up a few years back. You get water deposites in it from doing things as hitting puddles going wide open. The water goes everwhere and even up into the pod. it may just be your sensor in the right front wheel, or the wire that goes to it. Mine happened to be the pod though, One day it wouldnt work, the next it would, sometimes when you turn the key switch on it would go right past 60 and go as far as it could and bounce around all day from as far as it could go and then go down to zero and back and forth and would sometimes stop at a few numbers. It was really retarded and im glad it permenently broken now, you could sit there and watch it rack up miles when the key was on and you were'nt even go anywhere. If yours is doing this it is probably your pod.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Speedo problems

Well, thats what it was doing, i would be going about 40 and it would jump up and down like every 10 seconds. So what did you do to fix yours? Or have you not got it fixed cuz you said its permenently broken.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Speedo problems

Yes that is exactly what mine did, I didnt fix mine yet, they cost way too much for what they are, even used ones are too much. I dont need to know how fast im going so I didnt worry about fixing it.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default Speedo problems

Mine has did it in the past, but it has fixed its self, it seems if i turn my wheels a certain way and start off, it will work for a little way down the road then quit. Do you know how much they usually are?

Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Range Rover
Default Speedo problems

New speedos are 270, used ones if you can get one from a dealer are a little more than half, used on ebay are usually less than half . Best of luck to you, Mine would also work right somedays and not on other days, it was a pain, I took the sensor and wire and switched it with a friends wheeler to see if it was them and nothing changed. Thats how I knew my pod was bad. Hope this helps, Brian

Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default Speedo problems

Thanks for the info, I guess ill have to buy me a new speedo. Im waiting for my new video card and new stick of memory to come in. Then i guess ill look at some of the speedometers.

Old 07-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Speedo problems

guys you don't need a speedo, you need wheel sensor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedo problems