Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Polaris Phoenix 200 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris Phoenix 200 issues

Are there any experts out there that could tell me what is causing my daughter's Phoenix to back fire during deceleration. I've had the machine to the dealership for 3 updates and they said the new spark plug would take care of the back firing issue but it did not. Could it be the expensive stator or something else. I need to get this corrected because I feel like I'm getting shot at when I riding behind her. Any input would be helpful.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

take the cover off the throttle box and remove the etc switch from the housing. i just let mine hang in front of the handlebars. guarantee your phoenix will stop the backfiring and start easier. i can take picture of it later if you want. the switch is making and not making because of slop in the shaft. it it would be same as turning the key on/off while riding.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Range Rover

The backfiring is the ETC as stated before. It's set up to rev limit the motor on decelleration. If you take off the throttle housing cover, you can see a little metal tab that makes contact with a micro switch. You can hear it click when contact is made. Bend that tab out away from the switch a little. The idea is to have it still make contact in the event the throttle cable were to break. You may have to try it a couple times, but I am positive this is your problem. There was a Polaris bulletin on this. Your shop should know about it, but it was 2 years ago so they may have forgotten.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the info you guys.....It was the Micro switch. I bent the tap back an No more Back firing..

Now next Issue.. Does anyone know the correct gear oil..The 80/90 oil causes hard shifting..
I have read it should be replaced.. But With what??????????

Old 07-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Range Rover

They recommend Polaris AGL. It does help the shifting a lot. It's still not perfect, but it's much better.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BigBlueScrammy
They recommend Polaris AGL. It does help the shifting a lot. It's still not perfect, but it's much better.
Just off the top of your head, do you know what weight that would be. I'm tired of messing with the poloaris dealers around here. I gonna swithc all my quads to amsoil synthitic. I know they make a gear oil. I'm just wondering if it is the same weith as tha AGL.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

my throttle shaft is so sloppy there is no way to leave the etc switch in. only fix would be to get a regular polaris throttle box or make a bushing for the shaft. there is no safety issue for me with a functioning run/off switch and a easy to reach ignition key.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MojaveMark
Originally posted by: BigBlueScrammyThey recommend Polaris AGL. It does help the shifting a lot. It's still not perfect, but it's much better.
Just off the top of your head, do you know what weight that would be. I'm tired of messing with the poloaris dealers around here. I gonna swithc all my quads to amsoil synthitic. I know they make a gear oil. I'm just wondering if it is the same weith as tha AGL.

I don't know what the weight is, but have heard of people using the Amsoil Chain Case lube in it's place. It's not any cheaper locally so I've always used the AGL. You might be able to buy AGL off of ebay cheaper than at your dealer or even online discount dealers.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Price is not the reason I'm going to amsoil. I'm tired of the lack of profressinal courtesy that the only dealer for kawi and poloris that is within driving distenc of me shows. Ive an amsiol dealer just about 3 miles form my house.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Range Rover

That's the reason I brought up buying AGL off of ebay or an online discount dealer. Again I don't have any personal experience witht he Amsoil chaincase product.

Quick Reply: 2005 Polaris Phoenix 200 issues