Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Long term mileage on 2005-06?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term mileage on 2005-06?

I have a 2003 predator 500 no problems 2005 sportsman 700 efi only the melting plastic an that didn't happen till after 500 miles it has 694 on it. Used for plowing halling wood pulling a farm disk 16 disk an some trail riding an playing in the snow has been a good quad. My 98 scrambler 400 4X4 has unknow miles but riding hard an fast in trails. Rebuilt top end once an a few break pads.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka
Why what is wrong with them!!!!!I was thinking about getting one from the Dealer.........Do you have any hands on with them....or just what other people say......caper.....
I have hands on. My 450 came with one. I had a Moose plow before that and the Moose plow pushed a lot more snow. It's a larger plow though. Also I advise you steer clear of the two way plow. What I mean by that is you can move the plow side to side as well as up and down with your winch. It seems like a good idea at first but the side to side doesn't work worth a darn and I broke mine after just a few plows. It started getting stuck on me and I would get off and move it by hand to whatever position I needed and eventually just took a dive.

My driveway is about 65 yards long...so I'm pretty well versed on the plowing thing. Stick with the Moose [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks....do you put chains on your 450 to plow????? or any more weight on the racks for more traction on the wheels????........caper............

Old 09-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

I do not add any weight or chains even when I used to use my scrambler to plow

Old 09-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

Do any of you lads have some pics of these machines in action, nice to see some proof in the pudding as they say.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka
Thanks....do you put chains on your 450 to plow????? or any more weight on the racks for more traction on the wheels????........caper............
I did. I had my 450 before I got my 800. She will do the job. I don't use any chains. I just stick it in 4x4 low. Make sure you use low to plow. The only thing that I have found to be a problem is the lack of four wheel drive while in reverse. I think that is the case on all Polaris machines. But that is when you just use your reverse over ride and give her some gas.

This year I plan on using the 800 to plow.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Stumppuller1
Do any of you lads have some pics of these machines in action, nice to see some proof in the pudding as they say.
I myself don't. Wish I could tell you I did. As far as towing capacity, one just has to look at the specs on the polaris site. I think the 800 comes in at 1700 lbs towing capacity. I haven't checked the 07s, but for 06 I think that was higher than any other quad.

There is a great video I saw on here a while back (this forum)...matter of fact here is the link for it:

http://media.putfile.com/HillbillyStomp

Shows a few 800s doing some pretty impressive mudding. These machines are all stock by the way.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

Thanks 800twinEFI,

I am wondering if the 800 could handle a canoe rack and some camping gear, or pulling a trailer for children, obviously cruising it would have to be in HIGH range, would the belt be able to handle that or will it blow because its not in LOW, sure it has a 1500lb towing capacity but using LOW gear, can't do that when your wanting do drive 45-50mph on fire roads. Maybe I should keep the traxter for this kind of thing and then I won't have to worry about blowing a belt. If anyone can comment on this I would like to know, has anyone done this kind of thing, and if so how did it turn out.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have seen canoe racks on 400 Sportsmans. The 800 will be fine with one.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Stumppuller1
Thanks 800twinEFI,

I am wondering if the 800 could handle a canoe rack and some camping gear, or pulling a trailer for children, obviously cruising it would have to be in HIGH range, would the belt be able to handle that or will it blow because its not in LOW, sure it has a 1500lb towing capacity but using LOW gear, can't do that when your wanting do drive 45-50mph on fire roads. Maybe I should keep the traxter for this kind of thing and then I won't have to worry about blowing a belt. If anyone can comment on this I would like to know, has anyone done this kind of thing, and if so how did it turn out.

Thanks
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming a fire road would be the equivalent of a logging road or forrest service road. If so, I don't think you'll want to go that fast while towing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Perhaps you might. Everybody is different. But when I get going that fast I certainly don't want to tow anything. I don't think it is safe at those speeds on a ATV. Thats just my opinion.

I think you can get away with a lot on a 800. The question is...do you want to? I think any ATV is going to show significant signs of wear and tear on the belt at the speeds you mentioned towing. In the owners manual it pretty much states that these things must be done in low. And another thought for you is, what about your warranty? That kind of use might not be deemed reasonable and if you have a problem as a result, they may not honor your warranty for related repairs.

But regardless, IMHO your not going to find a better ATV for this type of activity.

As a interesting side note...I have a buddy who towed a car with his Suzuki 500 Quad. His belt slips now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Long term mileage on 2005-06?