Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

repair - left tire 10lbs heavier than right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repair - left tire 10lbs heavier than right?

It was 10lbs of mud. How they did not notice when they remounted the tire I have no idea...

Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I cannot believe that dealer let that out of his shop like that. That is ridiculous. When you measure the XTR's vs. the PXT's let us know, that would be some good solid info.. Glad you checked before that 10 lbs. did something your quad would not like when running.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I would think a 50# tire could damage your drivetrain.....?

Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Fireslayer,

I saw you indicated that Carlisle rated the PXT as 3 ply. My understanding is that they are rated as 3 star ( 2 plys per star) making them a 6 ply. Where did you see that info because I share your concerns over the performance of this tire as a 6 ply.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

xler8ion, Sorry I haven't got back on this. This info came from a tech guy that I e-mailed at Carlisle. I have no doubt that it is not the truth after removing and replacing the PXTs with the ITP XTRs. The PXTs only weighed 17 lbs vs 26 lbs 8ozs for the XTRs. I weighed all four tires (fronts both old and new) and they all weighed identical (PXTs both weighed 17, XTRs both weighed 26lbs 8 ozs). ther is a world of difference in the sidewall thickness and amount of flex between these tires. don't get me wrong, I loved the traction and ride of the PXTs, I just kept pinching holes in the sidewalls. I just went back and checked the e-mail reply I received on the PXTs. I e-mailed ITP and the reply I got came from this e-mail: Travis.dutemple@carlisletire.com. I guess Carlisle and ITP are connected somehow, I don't know who owns who myself though. This is who told me that the PXTs are only 3 ply. I took his recommendation to go with the XTRs for my riding conditions. The tread is substantially more aggressive and the tires are somewhat heavier. but so far I haven't even put a nick in them yet over the same terrrain that was eating the PXTs up. Someone mentioned about having to change wheels to use these tires. I mounted them right up on my stock Polaris aluminum wheels and they fit and work great even though they are an inch wider than the stock PXTs.There are no clearance or offset issues at all. Just bolt themm on and go. I don't know about the "star" rating or anything to that effect. I do know that the XTRs are by far a heavier built tire which is taking the abuse without any problems so far. Drop the guy at ITP / Carlisle an e-mail and see what he has to say about the PXTs vs the ITP tires. I'm not real crazy about the extra weight of the XTRs, but if that's what it takes to prevent flats I can deal with it.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey fireslayer, im amazed you mounted them on the stock rims and they dont rub. i know on my 800 i tooked at the clearance between the strut and the stock set up and only had about 1/2 clearance between them. so i knew (at least pretty sure) that the 27"x9" xtr's would rub for sure w/ the stock alum rims. now w/ these itp rims i have a good 1" clearance. how much room do you have between the strut and tire, and do you have any problem w/ rock or mud getting in thier?

Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

the front XTRs weigh 38 and 39 lbs on the type 7 LE wheels. The PXTs on stock tires weighed 28.5 so there is a decent difference.
I thought the XTRs rubbed on the tire rod ends if they were on the stock wheels? Someone posted some pictures a while back.