Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tach & Hour meter quit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach & Hour meter quit

Hi all I ask this ? one time befor and had no luck so thought I would try it agin so here it goes. I have an 04 sp 400 the tack & hour meter just flat quit I have traced wires everything seems to be conected good, so I kinda gave up on it but one of my buddys had a crash and we had his sp 400 in my shop working on it when we had time to so to make a long story short while it was apart I tryed has switch the run on and off headlight swith I mean and tryed it on mine that did'nt work either so I took has speedometer head "gauge" out and put it on mine that did'nt work either that was kinda of a bit of good news at least cause I did'nt wana have to buy a new speado head costly around 250$$ I think so with trying all that stuff I am back where I started at pretty much no where so if anyone has any good ideas on where to look next let me know please. thanks for everyones time to.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if they were off the same machine and it didnt work then your right its most likely something electrical. maybe the sensor thatr actually reads the rpm is the same for the hr meter. not sure if its that way or where it would be located. if i had to guess i would say the rpm would work off the stator plate arera.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Ok now I am gona try and not sound dumb but I had the rope house to get full of water one time and did not know it till I had to use the rope and well it did'nt work so well so I took it off clean it up got it working and their was a sensore thing of a deal that ran off the fly wheel i take it the contact points were rusty on the fly wheel so I took that sensore off and shined up the contact points on the fly wheek and clean the sensore up and put it back on would this be where or is this sensore be at falt or does that sensore where the tach gets its reading from? and the tach did quit & hour meter to shortly after this all happened.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hotrod,
I have an 04 500 with a similar porblem, but it is intermittent. The polaris dealer said the speed sensor is located in the right front wheel. If you turn the wheel to the left, from behind you can see the plastic sensor sticking out. Trace the wire from there to the speedo head to make sure it's not pinched. If not it is the sensor or debris on the head of the sensor. The dealer said it is about $50 for the sensor. Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

That would be a good place to check if he was having a problem with the speedometer. But in this case it is the tach/ hour meter.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it sounds like that would be your problem having water in there. take it apart and take a peak. it wouldnt be the speed sensor on the wheel as its not the speedo it self.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I flunked reading, half sleeping. Thought it was a speedo problem, no help here!

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Well thats what I thought maybe it was that sensor in their had maybe gone bad but the the guy at the polaris place said that did'nt have anything to do with the tach or houre meter but that sounded kind weird to me but ya know. So what is that sensor in their that runs aginst the flywheel called exactly so maybe I can look into geting one to try.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

ur stator is shot, ur tack runs off pulses from the stators charging coil, and the hour meter runs when it see engine rpm, no stator charging, no signals for the guage to read... u thought the speedo head was pricey, check the cost on the stator...

Old 09-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

hmmm i didnt think that water n stuff could do that can the efi get messed up by water or anythin easly

Quick Reply: Tach & Hour meter quit