Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

5 day old Sportsman 500 EFI Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 day old Sportsman 500 EFI Check Engine

I just got a sportsman 500 EFI for christmas 5 days ago. I have put 51 miles on it so far. However, the check engine light has decided to start comming on. When the engine is in park I turn on the engine let it run for approx 45 - 60 seconds and the check engine light comes on. In my documentation is a leaflet that states how to get EFI codes off the display by starting engine waiting for check engine to come on, shutting off the engine and then switching the key on and off 3 times in 5 seconds. For those familier with it there should be the words WAIT at the top and then a blink code to tell whats going on. The problem is that the WAIT never showes up and I get no blink codes. After I turn it on and off several more times eventually the check engine light goes off and i have to start the engine to get it back on again. My other question is when doing that are you supposed to do it so rappidly that the digital display doesnt reset by illuminating everything? Or should u turn it off slowly enough that it turns off the backlight and the digital display? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Dan

Old 12-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Your process to get the codes is correct. I suspect there are no codes to read, thus no reason to show WAIT. I know, the book says if you get the check engine light there are codes, but it could be a false reading....problem with the failsafe system itself. I'd go back to the dealer to see if the system isn't the issue. I've had my 07 500 X2 a few days longer, but not that many miles. So far so good.
Greg
2007 Sportsman 500 X2

Old 12-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Only time mine has done this is at idle with the lights and heated grips and thumb on.
I figure it draws more watts than what is being put out at idle??
Read on here where someone else's was doin same?

Old 12-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

Same here.... My Check Engine notification came on twice during the first couple hours of operation. Usually when I had it sitting there idling while drawing electricity (heated grips/thumb, lights, playing with winch, etc). At the time it seemed the machine was running/idling hot because it was so new. So it might have tripped some heat sensor or something.

Never could get any codes...

I did do some prolonged idling recently in Montana on some cold mornings and it never came on.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Put the battery on a charger.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

definetely head back to the dealer and they will hook it up to their laptop computer to see what trouble codes exist for atv cause i assume there is a prob beings the code still comes up. probably just a bad connection or something like that.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

call or take it back. dont screw w/ it being only that old probably something real stupid causing it.

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

for the life of me, I could not get my codes. I even took it to the dealer and he could not get them. Finally, a polaris tec called me and while on the phone, I showed him while doing the three turns of the key it did not work. With the key off, I would count on, off, on, off, on, off, then on. That was three. He said no it's supposed to be, from the off position, on, off, on, off, on. That's it. And it worked. Kinda like 2 1/2 times. If you don't have any codes, you will still get a code reading that says you don't have any codes. I think mine is 61. I'm don't remember, just look it up in your owners manual. Also the wait sign will flash. Good luck. Boy I felt like a idiot. I would go, 1, 2, 3, crap was that three or two, one more. It was hard for me to count on my fingers and turn the key at the same time. Works best with your shoes off.

The tec said to wait about 30 seconds with the key off before checking for codes. IN PARK WITH THE KEY OFF. (ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON)