Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP400 or SP500HO

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 10:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know what your talking about on the SP500HO
not power sliding. When I tested it at my dealer it power slid like a dream for a big ut guad. The ground was dry and hard she slid just great I was very pleased.

yellow SP500HO on order

Old 12-21-2000, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Loyal,
I have not ridden a SP400, but I hear they are about as fast as the 2000SP500. I also agree that you will be able to do powerslides on either the SP400 or the HO. Do not let people downplay the importance of the IRS. The IRS is the most important feature on the Sportsmans and the IRS is what makes it the King of the 4X4s. I would take a used SP335 over a Magnum500. It rides much smoother, jumps better, and muds better. Even if you decide on the SP400, it won't me much slower than the Magnum500, which is far outweighed by the IRS. If you can find a good 2000SP500 for sale, you may come out cheaper than buying the new SP500, and with a few free mods, it will hang right with the HOs. There are many people like myself that would like to upgrade to the HO and are willing to fork out some $$ to do it. I put my SP500 up for sale yesterday for $5600 and it has about 40 hours and 275 miles on it. That should give you an idea of what the market is for used SP500s. If you get one that is with the six month factory warrant, you can purchase the 5 year extened warranty for around $500-$600.

Greg

Old 12-21-2000, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

You can power slide a SP easily.

Old 12-21-2000, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer

SHOP AROUND FOR THAT H.O. got mine at my dealer out the door for $6350! i know your up north but that's crazy money! also dont worry about the powersliding, the h.o. will give you all you want. pretty sporty feeling for a 700lb. beast.

Old 12-21-2000, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the Sportsman 500 can be made to power slide but it does not slide with the same precision that an Xplorer or a Magnum will slide.

It's like comparing the handling of Fleetwood Brougham in a four wheel drift with that of a Camaro SS.

Any irregularity/bump in the road or trail could cause the inside rear wheel to "tuck in" due to camber change and could make things very exciting.

RE: MAGNUM ENGINE

Any Magnum manufactured after 3/2/00 incorporates all of the engine and clutch changes which Gregsims is so fond of.

Old 12-21-2000, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

There is no question about it. IRS will ride smoother than a straight axle swing arm suspension any day of the week but...

"I would take a used SP335 over a Magnum500..., and muds better."

Muds better? Even with the smaller tires (less ground clearance) and the smaller engine?

You must do strictly mud riding in low range all the time.

The 500s even bog somewhat with 27" tires, I can imagine how underpowered a 335 equipped with monster mudders would be.

With both a Magnum and a Sportsman HO in the garage I can tell you which one handles better on a winding fire/county road. The Magnum is much more stable and corners better at higher speeds.

When one gets onto the rutted, bumpy, rooted, rocky trails the Sportsman is better.

When it comes time to haul around the trailers the Magnum is better.

When it comes to staying out of the shop for reapirs- The Magnum is better

For someone wishing the ultimate smooth ride the Sportsman is better. Everything has its price, you pay your money and make your choices accordingly.

Old 12-21-2000, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with thor that the SP335 will have a rough time turning 27" tires... that is why I would not reccomend 27" tires. But, the SP335 with 25" tires in my opinion is a better mudder than a Magnum with 27" tires if for no other reason that Ground clearance. I was just using the SP335 as an example because I ride with a guy that has one and it consistently out muds just about anybike other than a SP500. Loyal is considering a SP400, which of course, has even more power than the SP335. As far as trail riding and cornering, I think the magnum will feel better to you if that is what you are used to. But, I have ridden both and I think the Sportsman corners better and takes on rougher terrain with more stabilty. I am guessing you are going to disagree with me. We all have our own opinions. However, I would like to add that competitions are help at FWP on a regular basis and I have yet to see a Magnum place in the top three in the barrel races. It is ussually couple of SP500s and maybe a wolverine or a 2WD Rancher. I would also add that we ride at Wolfpen on a Regular basis. The Terrain is a little tough for Banshees and 250rs so the 4WD Scrambler and SP500s are the fastest things up there. It would be interesting to see someone on a 500Magnum try to hang with TonyH on his SP335 up there. I know it would not be a problem on the straght aways but when the trails get rough and twisty, you would be riding on the edge just to keep in sight of him. Like I said... just my opinion.

Greg

Old 12-21-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Ah yes, once again we have agreed to disagree. I like that.

>>>>I agree with thor that the SP335 will have a rough time turning 27" tires... that is why I would not reccomend 27" tires. But, the SP335 with 25" tires in my opinion is a better mudder than a Magnum with 27" tires

(careful your opinion is overweighing the facts here)

(Where is that Texas Magnum Snorkel Guy when you really need him?)

if for no other reason that ground clearance.<<<<<

+25" tires are not standard equipment on the 335 Sportsman. Not to mention how much of that clearance disappears with a rider sitting on the machine.

>>>I was just using the SP335 as an example because I ride with a guy that has one and it consistently out muds just about any bike other than a SP500.<<<<

+Don't tell that to anybody with an Xplorer 400

<<<<Loyal is considering a SP400, which of course, has even more power than the SP335.>>>>

+The SP 400 has the same engine as the Expidition and I have heard of no reports claiming great power on the top end of an Expedition, most people are looking for more power.

From most of the posts which I have read, everybody that buys a 335 is angry with their dealer or salesman after riding a 500.

>>>>As far as trail riding and cornering, I think the magnum will feel better to you if that is what you are used to. But, I have ridden both and I think the Sportsman corners better and takes on rougher terrain with more stabilty.<<<<<<

+A Sportsman will not corner on a fire road like a Xplorer/Magnum will. It is not possible for a machine with IRS to corner as flat as a machine with a straight axle.

We are not talking about the same type of performance here. I am referring to wide open roads/trails and you keep referring to gnarly twisty bumpy trails.

In the slower gnarly bumpy trails of course the Sportsman rides better. I acknowleged that in my previous post. But... You have 40 hours on your machine and 275 miles. That comes out to around 6.88 MPH. The vast majority of your riding is slow speed.

The quads that I ride with have 50 hours and 1000 miles or a 20 mph ground speed average.

Your friend on the 335 would be very dusty if he travelled in our pack, as he would be back there with the 450's or behind them for that matter.

Old 12-21-2000, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

gregsims

so what is the new machine going to be??? a HO or are u waiting for the sp700??

later
jon

Old 12-21-2000, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thor,
I am aware that the SP335 does not come with 25" as you are probably aware that no Polaris comes with 27" tires. My point was that the SP335 will tunr the 25" mud tires with ease. There is no sense arguing details. We do ride differently, but you should know I am not just a mudder. The reason why my yellow SP500 has 40 hours on the odometer is due in some part to the fact that I left the key on over night. I have only had that bike for a short while and have had little chance to ride it. We do ride at Wolf Pen alot (usually) and we ride hard and fast. Since I do not ride down staright flat roads at top speed, I can not argue that someone on a Honda $50 would dust Tony where you ride. But, I have tried to keep up with him on Sumthin4nuthins modified wolverine at Wolf Pen Gap, and it was extremely difficult and over a couple of miles, he would pull away from me. I do not see anyway a Honda 450 would hang with him on those trails, and I am more than willing to plan a camping trip up there to prove a point (And to get away from the house and drink some beer).

Greg

Quick Reply: SP400 or SP500HO