Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

o6 sportsman 800 sputters and pops then dies. about once a month??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o6 sportsman sputters and pops then dies. about once a month??

hi, new guy here.. (1st post) well my 2006 800 sportsman decided to quit running again today like it has done for the 5th time since ive had it. seems like it refuses to run about once every month for the past 5 months? i live in moab utah and i ride allmost everyday..i need my bike to be totally dependable as i often ride in remote areas. so far i have always been lucky to get the bike running again after an hour or more (sometimes in 10 minutes) i have no clue why bike quits running.. (its always after i stop to take pictures or give my dogs water . then try to restart and it bareley runs then dies) its very disturbing since all 5 times it has happened it has been when im on a long ride and its always happened more than ten miles from home. i am thinking it is an electrical problem? but i really am clueless. every time its happened i just start checking for loose wire.. wiggiling connections checking fyses etc..etc,, after awhile it starts and runs perfect? it makes me think that the last connection i wiggeled befor it started was the problem...so when it happened again i wiggeled the same connection again, but no luck. does anybody have a clue to my mysterious problem..i have no confidence in my machine now because in the back of my mind i know it could quit running any time and it could strand me far from home. i love to get out there and explore seldom traveled areas. now i am going to limit the distance i ride to the amount of daylight and time it would take to walk home befor dark falls.. any advice on this problem would be appreciated.......thank you

Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default o6 sportsman 800 sputters and pops then dies. about once a month??

Welcome to the site. I know there are alot of guys on here who will try to help if they can. I have a 06 800 sportsman with 800 miles and no problems so far. I have never heard of such a problem with an 800, but have heard of similar problems with other machines. I dont know and am just taking a shoot in the dark, but I would check the fuel pump or filter.

Good luck getting it going, trailbound

Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

hi trailbound.. thx for the welcome and for the reply about fuelpump..i did think at one point that the motor was starving for fuel but soon forgot the possible fuel problem as my pea brain was thinking of to many things at same time. but if it was the fuel pump wouldnt it just quit pumping period.. i wonder how long fuel pumps last? i have over 3k miles on the bike. tomorrow i will check the fuel filter (if i can find it?..doh!) thx!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

WOW 3000 miles thats awsome! I'll PM you with some info.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

kewl! thx! trailbound