Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lights

I have been reading a lot of old posts about reverse lights or work lights. I have an 07 Sportsman 500 EFI that I use to plow. There are white lights in the rear that I assumed were reverse lights. After reading the posts, I am now confused. Either way, I don't believe that they work. I switched the bulbs around with the other rear lights and they seem to work OK so I don't think that it is a bulb problem. What is the scoop? I thought that maybe they were not hooked up by the dealer because they might be illegal here in Massachusetts. Everything else is.

So, I am putting it out to those of you that have more experience than me. I would love to have reverse lights or work lights or whatever they are.

Thanks in advance.

James

Old 02-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default Rear lights

The wiring is all there, the things missing are the bulbs and the switch up front in the pod housing (speedo). You need a toggle on/off switch you can get at any auto store for about $3-5 dollars. Then the bulbs you can get the Sylvania 921s(I believe or 912) one number is the standard and the other an upgrade. Total for whole project is about $10 or $12 bucks. I will tell ya the wiring harness in your POD housing is for a three-pronged, L-shaped. You may want to look at it before you buy the switch. I used the QUADOVATOR switch works perfectly. Under the POD housing cover you will also notice the dotted prefer/marks for cutting out to add switches. Just do a search on here there is several threads, one I created too when I did this myself awhile ago.

I hope all this info. helps!

Regards,

R'

Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rear lights

So, would I be correct in assuming that since a switch is needed, that these are rearward work lights and not back up or reverse lights? Or unlike a car, is there no capability to have these powered by the shift lever being in the reverse position? Ideally for plowing, reverse lights that come on automatically would be more desireable than those requiring their own manual switch. I also saw your sketch for a horn in your pics. Now I have to think about that one too.

Thanks,

James

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear lights

all you would have to do is find which wire is hot when in reverse coming from the gear indicator. tap off that to a relay to come on when in reverse.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rear lights

yes, they are "work lights" and not reverse lights. They will not come on (if wired from factory or the "factory" way) in reverse until you flip the switch on the pod. I have them, and they work great. I also added a PIAA fog lamp to my back work lights. Wired it into the circuit with the switch for the other two. it fit perfectly between the two down rails on the back frame. Just a couple tiny bolts through the bottom of the back tool box and good-to-go! I love it! lots of light out back

Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rear lights

got it, thanks everyone

Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default Rear lights

JSRIII,

Also, Quadovator (www.quadovator.com) makes a Reverse
backup light mod as well as Reverse override good mod for the
plowing so you can operate the winch rocker switch/throttle/brake
and not have to keep your Yellow button in on Reverse.

Again on top of our replys here if you search the forum you
will get more technical info. Some have it in their Pics too, I have
the 3-way-mod step-by-step PICS but not the reverse light mod, so sorry I couldn't help there!

Cheers,

R'

Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear lights

my 2cents. add L.E.D. lights to your backups. they will be brighter, last longer, and draw less power..

Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rear lights

thought id also add a pic of my switches. the 2 black ones on your left are hand and tumb warmers, and the 2 switches on the right. top black one is for the back white lights and the bottom little switch is for my 6 blinky lights.

Name:  DSC00004-3.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  84.2 KB
iv been thinking about getting a switch like the ones used on the hand/thumb warmer. so i can either turn the back lights on, off, or one when it reverse. this way i can switch from it being on all the time or on when in reverse or off.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default Rear lights

chuck, those switches look great!! The two on the left appear to have on/off LED indicators. Is that part of the switch or a separate LED light? Either way they look original to the bike. What did you use to cut the plastic shroud? I have a rotozip, but sometimes it gets away from you and I would not want to damage the plastic housing and have to buy a replacement. I'm sure Polaris doesn't give them away. Perhaps an exacto knife or sheetrock knife would be safer. Maybe this is the excuse I need to add a dremel to my tool collection. LOL

Quick Reply: Rear lights