Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300

hello
I purchased a new hawkeye 300 On Demand AWD from my dealer and ever since I have had it
it will spit and spudder . Took it to my dealer a couple times he gave me a plug and fuel filter I put
them on didnt fix it Dealer then told me to put a 100 miles on it and if it still run rough to bring it back and he would fix it . Well got my 118miles and took it back we talked it wasnt acting up as bad but still cutting out. Me and a friend road it on a dirt road with the seat off for a while and couldnt get it to cut out at all running perfect when we would put the seat back on it and the rack seat it would act like the air was cut off . So back to the dealer I went and told him what was wrong and said to cut the airnozzle on the breather box from it factory cut like this | to cut like this \ to angle it . So I did he said was getting close to the tank and cutting airflow off. I weigh 166 pounds my wife 105 pounds she sits on the rack seat. It seemed to help runs better get in any water or mud over 2inch deep sputters hardly run dies on hills also easly. What would anyone who reads this do ??

Old 07-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

i think everyone who has a hawkeye has those problems mine is doing better now that it has broken in some but i was talking to the dealer the other day and he ask if i would be willing to bring mine in and let him do some adjusting on the carb to fix the stalling on hills issue other than that all of my other probs did clear up with break in..

Old 07-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ride between 5000-10000ft but for what it's worth below is a post I made on another thread, maybe some of the info will help your dealer.

"I think the dealer may have figured out the tuning for high altitude! I ride between 5000-10000 ft and the Hawk has been running like crap. I took it to the dealer and they used my machine to do thier testing and they claim that they got it dialed in great. The highest they can get right now because of the snow is 9000.

They used 135 main jet, moved the needle 1 notch ( I am not sure which direction) and changed the clutch weights to a roller set, the exact description off of work order is "Roller set-12 grams red"."

They did this work in March and I have ridden the hawk several times since then and it is running great. I get no sputtering or coughing now and the machine runs really strong all the way to 9000 ft.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well
I was wondering After three attemped trys with the dealer and he wouldnt even unload it I got dissapointed and called Polaris Industries and I have a resolution team calling the house within the week to try to settle this atv problem. I think they will have to redesign the air breather top. Runs good now on dirt or paved roads but the steam off the motor is being pulled into the breather tube now. That is what is causing the cutout I think. Has anyone ever talked to a resolution team about there fourwheeler?

Joe

Old 07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

try jetting it down. these bikes are way too rich from the factory.then make sure to change your plug. we have ours to the point where it runs pretty good but it still will sputter a bit when we let off the throttle and pin it. i also went wild with the dielectric grease and that helped stop the sputtering when we hit water.my dealer did some clutch work as well by grinding down the clutch weights 5 grams.this helped to get the rpm up a bit quicker off the line but my dealer says that unless he does work to the internal parts of the clutch system in the engine case it won't get any better. i'm hoping that an aftermarket company like hpd takes this bike and actually makes it run proper.i think we're going to trade it off after this summer and get a "carberated" sp500 or another scrambler just for the reliability and less hassle.it gets pretty anoying when a brand new quad runs like crap after being to the shop 6 times. my scrambler ran like a top from day 1.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Joe, I have talked to one of them Polaris resolution teams before. They were worthless. I also had a brand new Polaris with a problem and when they tell you they will call you within a week, they actually mean 4 months, so don't be disappointed. Even after we talked they were of no use. It seems like Polaris is getting a little big for there britches. They are forgetting about the little man all of a sudden.

Good luck

Old 07-12-2006, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey
just got home from work. Well they called yesterday and all they would do is tell me to carry it to the dealer when he is open. So I carried it they havent called back. But the dealer was cool . He said one of the problems was they had oiled the filter and it wasnt supposed to be oiled. True or False? I dont know So the dealer kept it tonight stayed over and is trying to fix it he also took it home with him so he ride it in water and try to make it go good in water .. Thats what I do on my fourwheeler if im not in a small creek playin Im all in mud. I cant have a fourwheeler if it cant go in either. Maybe this thing will go in that when I get it back if it dont I got 12months worth claims to make until it is right. Does anyone know if this thing will go like wanted if running right?

Thank Joe

Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

when ours decides to run good, it's a very enjoyable quad.if you keep the rpms up it actually rips pretty good for a 300 4+4. it will outhandle a sportsman in tight trails but it doesn't quite have the grunt for deep thick mud

Old 07-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey
How does it do in water? I like to play in creeks a lot. did you have to take it back to the dealer any?
If so do you know what he did to make it run good ?

Thank joe

Old 07-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Range Rover

ours will sputter a tiny bit still when we hit a good size water hole and the engine is really hot but then it's fine. the snorkle is up high but there is no drain on the airbox. i think the front skid plate will help with the sputtering as it will keep the water from hitting the motor directly. without it there is nothing there even when hitting big puddles

Quick Reply: Anyone Having Problems with Hawkeye 300