Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 EFI or 500 Carburetor?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 EFI or 500 Carburetor?

I know the EFI will operate better at different elevations unless the carb is rejetted, but I will not be riding it too much above sea level.

Is there much difference in performance between the two?

Has one been more reliable over the other with Polaris?

My local dealer has a '07 500 with EFI and a '08 500 with a Carburetor both at the same price.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 11-03-2007, 03:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I guess it would depend on how you ride. It's like this. If you swamp a carb atv all you do is dry it out, put some new oil in it and flush the carb and your good to go.
With the EFI............well..........that won't be the case most of the time. That hole in the injector is VERY small. Any speck of dirt will clog it and then your done.

I thought EFI was the way to go years ago. Now...........I would rather have a carb in the dirt and water. EFI is still too soft for me.................."yet." Do a search on this site for EFI problems and you will see what I mean.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 AM
Range Rover

I went with a carb modle for the simple reason, when my warranty runs out and somthing gos wrong, the carb is one more thing I can trouble-shoot by myself. The abilty to never have to worry about temp or alt. wld be nice tho [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 AM
jp1
Trailblazer

efi or carb ? they both have their pro's & con's efi will have a little more responce on take off . but carb is alot cheaper to maintain. Their are a lot less electrical componets to have to worry about. Efi it the best for cold weather you dont get that spit & spudder. I have always had carb's and never had any trouble. Iv'e rode in the mountains & lowlands. I now own a 700 efi haven't really had a chance to try it out.( just in kentucky) Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

EFI works better in all conditions!!! carb is outdated! You never need to work on EFI.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RickCJ7............"You never need to work on EFI".................Do you drive a car or truck?
Yes their all good when there new!!!...Cars ,trucks ,ATV's ,etc...

You can't say "never".............Quads do get old.
How old is the oldest EFI quad out there right now?.........Few years?.....
Lets give it some time and then we will see if no work is needed!!!.....Just my view.....Caper.........

Old 11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone got scared of EFI when it came out in to 80s. Now it's almost imposible to find a carberated car on the road today. It's the way of the future. Now saying that, Polaris's EFI system is not very complex. It only runs off a set paramiter like an open loop system. For a certain temperature, throttle postion and altitude it allows a set amount of fuel. When you change airflow with intakes and exhaust the computer will still use the same fuel as stock. This COULD lead to a lean condition. Whenever the manufactures want to spend more money and up the costs of the machines they will go to a closed loop system with a Mass-air flow sensor and an 02 sensor or two. This will allow mods to be done easier without programmers and such.

As a mechanic I know first hand NOTHING lasts forever. Sensors and modules and wiring are going to be problems ALL the time. But hopefully no one has any problems and happy trails for all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL

Old 11-04-2007, 12:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The EFI on a car are more sophisticated then the simple throttle body efi of a ATV, I ride with a EFI 500 and it has no acceleration or top end advantage,but I bet it get better gas mileage.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to do my own Carb cleaning also...This may be why I am against EFI.....LOL....

I have /and rode sleds for many years.....And for me to have EFI on them,Well lets say it would have cost me more money,They do sit for about 8-9 mts of the year!!!!.......

My buddies had a few when they first came out, but also told me they need to get someone else to do the work.........Back then there were a few issues......I guess I am just getting old!!!....LOL......Caper.....

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

With an EFI version, what needs to be done if you install an air kit and exhaust? Will the CDI adjust for the upgrades?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 EFI or 500 Carburetor?