Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1997 Xplorer 400 Charging System and Top End Rebuild

Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Xplorer 400 Charging System and Top End Rebuild

I just bought my first machine a few months ago and now I'm wondering if it was such a good idea. The problems first started on a night ride. Everything was just fine for the first hour. At one point we turned our machines off for awhile and then started riding again. My battery was low so I had to pull start the machine. It ran fine until I noticed my lights were getting dimmer and dimmer until I could barely see. So I rode close to a buddy and got off the hill. I had the battery checked and it was good, so I didn't think anything of it. The next ride (during the day) I found that my temperature light was coming on. I noticed the fan was barely moving so I shut it off. Same problem. The battery was dead. I thought this was problaby why the fan wasn't running. Anyway, I cleaned the terminals and checked the connections. Everything seemed fine. Also, I checked the coolant and it was OK.

Now to the fun part. I was riding on Thanksgiving and started having the same problems. The temp light was on and the fan was barely running. I let it sit for a bit and starting going again. BIG MISTAKE. Soon I felt a noticible change in power and then I shut off the machine. Now I'm looking at a top end rebuild.

My questions are:
1. What do I do about the charging problem? I've read about the stator going bad, can I check it before I replace it?

2. Should I change the waterpump if I have the engine out of the bike?

3. What other things should I consider since I have to get the cylinder bored out and everthing?

4. Will I need to rejet the carb with an oversized piston?

5. What parts do you recommend for upgrade.

6. Anything else I should check while the engine is in pieces?

Thanks!!