Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Driveline Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 96 Scrambler has a loud clunking noise coming from the driveline somewhere but I can't tell where. It makes the noise when accelerating but not on coasting. It sounds like a frozen link on one of the chains but they all check out ok. It made the same noise about a month ago for a while but it went away..A friend with a Polaris says it's normal for Polaris and the noise comes from the belt and it's nothing to worry about. Does this sound like anything anyone out there has experienced? The last time it made the noise was when we were riding through deep muddy water and like I said before the noise went away by itself. I rode for about 4 hours on Sunday in the snow but the noise is still there. Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the noise??
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Scrambler96

Old 01-10-2001, 08:21 PM
Range Rover

Check for rocks between the sprocket guard and the sprocket.
See YA Drew

Old 01-10-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have had that problem before. I couldn't tell were the sound was coming from until I took off the clutch casing. The belt had been worn or something and it caused the top layer of the belt (were it says polaris) to start coming off. Whenever I drove fast or anyting I could here the top of the belt slapping around. It made a clunking sound. Thats just what I've experienced, and your problem sounds a lot like mine did so maybe thats what it is.

Old 01-10-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Scrambler96~
I have that exact same noise on my scrambler!! You only hear it when you are accelerating? Mine does it most of the time in 4 wheel drive and sometimes in 2 wheel drive. Is yours like that?? I've looked all over and haven't been able to find the definite problem! But look at the rear chain guide. It's up by the front sprocket and rivited to the swingarm. Mine has 2 grooves n it and the master link hits it every time around...I think that's the clunking on my machine. Take a look at yours...maybe it's the same way!?!

Old 01-10-2001, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure that your chain is tight?I know on my Tblazer evertime my chain loosens up and rubs on the swingarm it makes that noise.

Old 01-11-2001, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Drew, I checked the chain guard and everything was ok. I'm still stumped.

Carl

Old 01-11-2001, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I took your advice and checked my belt. It's still like new. It was replaced about a year ago but I know you can ruin one on one bad ride but it's good. At least I feel better knowing my belt is not going to let me down on my next ride. Thanks for the help.

Carl

Old 01-11-2001, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, mine makes the same kind of noise as yours. We were riding in about 8 inches of snow on Sunday so I was in 4 wheel drive most of the day. The noise is so loud and you can almost feel the crunching in the driveline it's really scary. My chain guide has the same marks but the dealer says that's nothing to worry about. I'm probably going to replace the chain anyway and play it safe. I see you have a 96 Scrambler too. How do you like it. I just got mine in october but we've been riding every weekend. I love mine. It's got all the power I need and the 4 wheel drive makes it a year-round ride. Snow riding is really fun. My son has a 350 Trail Boss. Polaris makes a real good quad. I'll let you know if the chain helps.

Carl

Old 01-11-2001, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Carl~
I love my Scrambler! Does yours still have the stock silencer on it? I know that some of the 96' scramblers had faulty silencers. They get plugged up real easy and drastically reduce power. I know mine did that and that's why I have the AAEN silencer on it. I also put a Hot Seat chain tensioner on it. I would reccomend it because you don't have the chance of the chain jumping off the sprocket. But about that noise...I really wish I could pinpoint it!! I can feel it in the floorboards and I almost don't trust the machine to go very far anymore! But tell me if replacing the chain does help...I would like to know. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2001, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

How about a bad u-joint? I know in a 4x4 truck they make some strange noises when they are gone. HTH

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Quick Reply: Scrambler Driveline Noise