Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Sportsman 500, engine died, wont crank, wont pull start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Sportsman 500, engine died, wont crank, wont pull start

I was riding my sportsman 500 yesterday for about an hour when I let my sister ride it. She didn't make 75 feet before the engine died. She thought she might have hit the off switch (not the key) on the handlebar by mistake but don't know. I went over to restart it for her and it won't crank. You can hear the battery buzzing when you turn the key. This would make me think low battery, however, I can barely pull the starter rope at all and I am a pretty big guy. Does this sound like an engine problem or maybe the belt? I am at a loss as to what to do!! Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pull the spark plug out and try pulling it over by hand. if it still pulls hard something hapened that isnt good. by any chance did she blow the belt and it got wrapped up in the clutches which would act like it seized the engine. just a thought.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a sportsman 500 that done the same thing. It ended up being a timing chain

Old 03-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

there is a cover on the right side of the engine (i think 6, 10mm bolts) that you can pull off and check the chain-- you will have to remove the side panel to see it, but easy to remove and check.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for the info, I will take it apart in the next couple of nights and cross my fingers that it is only the belt/chain. I don't think it is the engine because if it locked up I wouldn't think I would be able to pull the starter rope at all??

Old 03-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

let us know as well and we'll hope its somethigh simple as well.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, the timing chain is still attached and so is the drive belt. If I pull the starter rope the timing chain turns. Any other ideas before I take it to the Dealer. Could the bendix in the starter be stuck? I know I am reaching but I just don't think it is the engine. If the engine was locked would I still be able to pull the starter rope??

Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I worked on the ATV again last night and got it started. I am still not sure what happened with it but it is running fine now. My only guess is when the engine died the engine brake locked up and in my moving it around and messing with the belt it let loose becuase I was able to start pulling the starting rope. Then I had to adjust the throttle control and charge the battery and it started right up. Again, not sure what happened but glad to be back up and running!!!!!!! Thanks again for everyone's ideas.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine did the same thing yesterday. My son was riding along and it just died. It will turn over very slowly, while making a whirring sound. I tried to pull start it, but is very hard to pull. I am working the next 4 days, 12 hr shifts, so I won't be able to wrench on it for a few days.
I guess I should check belt, timing chain,...then what?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am not sure why mine started working again, it wouldn't even crank at first. You might try to simply charge the battery, that seemed to be at least half of my problem. I am not sure if the 2000's had ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) or not but you may need to adjust it if your does. I have had that happen before where it would crank but not start until I adjusted the ETC. It is located as a part of the throttle cable, you simply turn the throttle cable until it will start and idle. I think I have a link somewhere to a video of it being done if you need it. I would try those before you check the timing chain and belt.

Quick Reply: 05 Sportsman 500, engine died, wont crank, wont pull start