ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Mud stains on plastic (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/286138-mud-stains-plastic.html)

davidaz 03-24-2008 10:42 PM

Mud stains on plastic

We don't often get to play in the mud in the Southwest, but found some last week. I went to wash the quads today with a 2800 psi power washer, car wash soap and a brush but a red mud residue remained. Any ideas from you mudders how to remove the residue?

firehog 03-24-2008 10:53 PM

Mud stains on plastic

I love the mud! Copious amount of water, soap, a good sponge and voila! I heard that car wax can scratch your plastic, so I quit using it. They say to use furniture polish. I'm going to try it. I have tried STP Son of a gun spray and it shines and does help the mud slide off, but is also a dust magnet. Maybe a good furniture polish without wax or oil will work better? The brushes at the self service car washes won't work well unless there is a lot of soap coming out (I used to own one!). Also, you run the risk of blowing off your decals or damaging moving parts, etc. due to the high pressure wand, so I would avoid the car wash. One thing for sure about mud, it takes a while to clean off and makes you think twice the next time you find it....but it doesn't stop me!

davidaz 03-24-2008 11:20 PM

Mud stains on plastic

Thanks for the response. I'll try more elbow grease, I avoided the decals, but even direct hits wouldn't remove the stains.

I also have an '07 sp 800 also, the X2 version. Did the clutch make any difference? I put a Team clutch on my Ranger and it made very little difference, so I wasn't going to spend the money if it doesn't help.

RticKwad 03-24-2008 11:41 PM

Mud stains on plastic

Hey I am so glad to read this THREAD!

I have had the same experiences on both my Sportsmans 450 (Green/Blk & Yellow/Blk) and more
recently my all Black Stealth. I think all the mud stains to some point and there is nothing more
discouraging then to give your QUAD a good wash down using alot of elbow with sponges, soap
and water, garden hose, re-washing it as it starts to dry etc. Then only to find when it sits for
abit to come over and see all of those MUD STAINS on the floor rests, fender wells and overall
body, cargo box and rack too, LOOKS as if you never washed it, right?

OKAY I read alot of threads and heard people recommending lots of products. BUT it is really
TRUE, get some Pledge furniture spray polish (get anywhere and Polaris recommends
this in their Repair manual not sure about the operator's manual) and after your double wash and
fairly dry. Use a nice rag or Terry cloth and spray a hand size amount onto it and start applying
in a circular motion, you will notice the shine and such but go over and over till its fully applied (rag will
seem dry) and then repeat the process till one side is done, the other side is down, your cargo lid, light pod,
in front headlights plastic, rear cargo rack etc. etc.

Key I discovered was to do TWO applications and it gets those mud stains out and a nice shine.
It really works, I just did mine last weekend and I really couldn't believe it. The armour-all tire
foam is good for the tires. Same thing you, aftee you hit the tire wait abit and you will start to see
results then add more, do for each tire! -- Hope this helps!

R'

JCDEYO25 03-24-2008 11:53 PM

Mud stains on plastic

RticKwad...
Hold on.....You really armorall your tires???.......For real???

John

sprinter10 03-25-2008 12:13 AM

Mud stains on plastic

and the pledge is also good after you ride the mud comes right off when you hit it with the hose. saves alot of time i use it on the dirt cars.

polarisman600 03-25-2008 01:20 AM

Mud stains on plastic

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JCDEYO25

RticKwad...

Hold on.....You really armorall your tires???.......For real???

John</end quote></div>

i armour all my tires too. i also use armour all wipes on the plastic, really makes it shine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

firehog 03-25-2008 01:29 AM

Mud stains on plastic

Thanks for the advice....I'm sold, getting some pledge!

<span class="FTHighlightFont">I also have an '07 sp 800 also, the X2 version. Did the clutch make any difference? I put a Team clutch on my Ranger and it made very little difference, so I wasn't going to spend the money if it doesn't help. </span ft>

Davidaz,

I installed a Dalton clutch kit in the sp700x2....what a difference. Even the mechanic couldn't believe it. I can pull the front end off the ground! Probably a little much for the wife, but my friends will enjoy it when they ride it! Definitely recommend it...

Alpine2 03-25-2008 06:42 AM

Mud stains on plastic

After I wash mine I use wd40 spray on the plastic to get out any stains and rub it and it makes the plastic shine nice

RticKwad 03-25-2008 08:44 AM

Mud stains on plastic

To be honest I haven't used that armour-all
tire foam since my trade-in of the 450, but I
wanted to mention that cuz I seen that
product WORK too....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

FYI, I really don't see the point in armouring
the whole tire only the facing side walls if ya want
that shine just like the rims.

R'