Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sell my Scrambler for an Outlaw 525?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell my Scrambler for an Outlaw 525?

I have a 2004 Scrambler. I really like it, but lately, have been lusting after the Outlaw. Hopefully you can help. I would really like to hear opinions of those who have owned, or at least ridden, both. My dad has a few more Scramblers, so even if I sold it, I could ride one anytime.

First, let me talk about the Scrambler:

Pros:

-Power. It's really as fast as I need right now, wouldn't mind a little more sometimes.

-Not shifting. I love it.

-4wd. It really helps in the mud, water, any place where traction is an issue.

-Comfort. I like the way it sits and rides, it's a pretty comfortable machine.

-It will go pretty much anywhere. This is fun.

-I think it is a great, maybe the best, all-around bike.

Cons:

-Weight. This is a heavy bitch. I can feel it in the turns, when I jump, stopping, pretty much everywhere.

-Handling. Kind of a function of weight, I guess. Feels really tipsy in the turns, which bothers me. Not very flickable, but gets the job done.

-Jumps. I'm not a great jumper, but I love it. The Scrambler is not a good jumper, to heavy. Plus, if I don't land perfect, which I almost never do, it's pretty punishing.

-Quirks: Get a little water on the belt, you're stopped for a while, go too slow up a hill, the belt gets pissed off. etc...

-Power. Even though I listed it as a pro, I would like to have more. No wheelies, while not a big deal, Is a bummer.

-Reliability- Not horrible, not great. It's a very complex machine I think. Seems like something is always going wrong, usually with the front drive system.

The type of riding I do is almost all trails. usually a lot more rocks than I would like, pretty fast, ruts, roots, some smaller jumps, some mud, but I rarely, if ever, go "mudding". Usually just a mud hole I underestimated. Some hills, lots of rocky, technical slow uphill stuff. I would like to do some form of racing, but I don't ever see myself on a mx track. I might go to the dunes sometime.

Here's some questions about the Outlaw.

-What will I gain/loose as opposed to the Scrammy?

-I will be giving up 4wd. I understand the IRS has so much more traction than a straight axle bike. Will I really miss the 4wd that much?

-How is it in the mud?

-How low is first gear? I hate having to slip the clutch, anything to do with shifting, I'm not a huge fan of. but I don't really do much really slow, crawling stuff.

I'll probably edit this as I think of more stuff.

Thanks, Bruce.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Not to take away from your post on the outlaw as they are a fun fast machine but for what you are explaning have you thought of a renegade 500 or 800? I think the 500 would be simalar to you scrambler but it has more power and i think it's a lighter weight cassis. Just a someting for you to think about.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 500 Renegade is 30lbs heavier than the Scrambler,but it does have more HP and speed,the 500 twin has less low end grunt but it has a low range to make up for it on slow technical trails plus alot more ground clearance.

Your trails sound pretty slow going and rugged,I think fanning a clutch woud be a drag after awhile. Here is the 500 Can Am spec vs your Scrambler.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, I would never have guessed the Renny was heavier than a Scrambler!!!

Now for your question, If you're planning on staying out of the mud, I would go for the Outlaw. Myself I went the other way and traded my Scrambler for something that would be better in the mud. If I was riding less mud and more forest roads and gravel pits for sure I would have an Outlaw. IRS and tons of power would be a LOT of fun

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would have to agree with TLC on this one. If you're going to be doing slow technical rock climbs it is great to have the low range available. The Renegade has independent rear suspension for a nice ride and 4wd for the rough stuff. You might also try a Sportsman 800. They are heavy but with the right body english can be a fun high speed ride.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well I just did this 3 months ago. I still have my scrambler(2004) for the wife. The scrambler was my first quad and I love it! I just wanted a more sporty quad. I did alot of research and the 525 w/irs seemed like the perfect step. It rides amazing through the trails and with IRS it goes through alot of rutted trails most sport quads would bottom out in. I have rode it about 13 hrs total and I am all ready getting used to the shifting. The hardest part for me is remembering to use the clutch when I need to stop real fast. Some one pulls out in front of me I instinctively just hit the breaks. But in only 13 hrs of riding I would say I have almost got it down. If you can ride around by your house you will have no problem getting plenty of practice.

The Outlaw is light and it seems the front end is always about 5 inches off the ground. I am used to riding the scrambler and not adjusting my weight when riding hard. Overall I am getting tons better each time I ride!

I truely believe I made a great choice by upgrading to the outlaw! It is an amazing machine that rides smooth and has way more power than I need.

If you really like auto trans look into the KFX700(?). It is a very nice quad and its auto. I was close to getting one but I decided to go with a manual so I could learn how to ride a true sport quad. Once I decided to go manual it came down to the Outlaw 525 and the Raptor700. After lots of research and considering what type trails I spend most of my time on the Outlaw was the clear winner. If the atv park near me wasn't always full of ruts and very rough trails I may have went with the raptor but So far the IRS has been outstanding. I have gone down a rough trail about 35-40MPH and never felt like I was out of control.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Hmm, no slow technical rock climbs, not like crawling or anything, just some slower stuff. Mainly rough forest roads. I've looked at the Can-Am, but haven't read as much good stuff about it.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The KFX700 looks good also It says its a 4x4 and its lighter than a Scrambler, is that a typo?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

I've seen the KFX, but if I'm going to get something else, it will be IRS.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Your last option Some one has to buy one first to tell us how they go.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Best of all its a Honda,and after you use it for 10 years you can sell it for what you payed for it, from what I hear.

Quick Reply: Sell my Scrambler for an Outlaw 525?