ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   EBS? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/289656-ebs.html)

duster 05-11-2008 02:29 AM

EBS?

So what is 'the skinny' on the EBS system these days?

Work better than before?... The same?... What?...

I know they have added the Active Decent Control.
I think that is a good idea on their part to give them a chance at being able to get closer to a manual trans 4x4 for downhilling.

To get more direct about why I am asking is because I'm playing with the idea of buying a Scrambler 500 4x4... and only EBS is an OPTION on this machine.

In the past I've had guys tell me that the EBS was 'ok' and have had guys tell me they would not put it on the sportier Scrambler models.

I haven't experienced the EBS first hand to see what it is like in normal terrain where you don't need engine braking, nor have I seen it'w performance level on a machine without the ACD... (just rear wheel EBS).

So what do you all think?

MECHANIKE 05-11-2008 11:23 AM

EBS?

does anyone know when ebs started? i have a01 scram5004x4?thanx

TLC 05-11-2008 11:55 AM

EBS?

I ride with a 2000 Scrambler and it does not have EBS and I ride with a 98 Sportsman with EBS not sure if or when Scramblers started getting EBS. The 3 disk brakes are strong on the Polaris so unless you ride down Long hills that are on the verge of being classified as cliffs, you will get down any hill fine even without ebs/adc fine especially in low range.

If the Scambler has ebs only then that will be enough on a lighter Scambler ,I get down any hill fine with our heavy 97 SP500 without EBS and my 2001 with EBS only.

As for the day you say to your riding buds " I cant follow you down that hill because I have no ADC" It just won't happen. Like power steering is it nice? Yes, is it necessary ? .No.

fxrs88apes 05-11-2008 12:33 PM

EBS?

have a 02 400 sportsman with EBS & once I learned I need to keep belt engaged while decending? I think its the cats a@. If I had to pay more for Avtive Decent? I wouldn't pay it. I ride the black hills of SD so I've riddin where one needs EBS decending hills

sheepdogMSP8117 05-11-2008 01:25 PM

EBS?

Don't know if I'd want it on a Sport Quad, but the Scrambler isn't full sport, so I don't know.

jokout 05-11-2008 04:59 PM

EBS?

the 300/400HO has EBS on the rears only and I have found it to be very effective in the riding I do...I like things simple and dependable and the present EBS has been exactly that!

duster 05-11-2008 07:12 PM

EBS?

Yeah, the Scrambler never has came stock with EBS to my knowledge, but it is an add-on option.

I was just wondering if it was something worth adding.

All I know is that in the early days of Polaris... around here, going down hills was it's major handicap. They just freewheeled and that was that. Brakes were probably not as good in those days either. Sure they would stop the wheels, but not the machine on a steep decent. After you get so steep, a machine will just slide when the tires stop.

I have the same issue with my John Deere Gator ute. It will climb a cliff... so it will go up places you can't safely come back down. It has no engine braking... so it has no ability to "crawl" down.

Seems like the Scrambler 4x4 might take you up some places that might not be that fun to come back down since it has no engine braking ability in stock form. But I'm shooting in the dark because I don't know either way.

stendori 05-11-2008 09:45 PM

EBS?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MECHANIKE

does anyone know when ebs started? i have a01 scram5004x4?thanx</end quote></div>

Engine Braking System=EBS i noticed on my wifes new 08' 400 that has the ebs and comparing it to her 06' 450 w/out it i definitly like it much better w/ it to help her slow down on the hills as well saving on the brakes. imo.

MECHANIKE 05-11-2008 09:45 PM

EBS?

yaknow now that you described it duster i think i might have ebs,i once went up a block long 45 degree dirt mountain+ when i got up realized the only way down is down,i started going down+as long as i did'nt touch the throttle it felt as though the belt was being held by the primary clutch tight+just slowly holding the quad from gaining speed through alot of resistance,made alot of buzzing noise,if i touched the gas allbetsareoff,but on idle safe,i forgot about that cause i only did that once about 2 years ago.....huh DOES THIS SOUND LIKE EBS TO YOU GUYS???????

user493 05-12-2008 02:36 AM

EBS?

I think EBS started ten years ago in '98. I know it wasn't on the '97s but I had it put on mine at some point. I usually have to give it the gas going down hills, even big steep ones, in high gear. Before it was like popping it in neutral. I also like EBS because when you let off for a curve it slows down, and it's a lot easier to control your speed without using the brakes. I barely even brake at stop signs as long as I see them in time. I just coast and put the brakes on at the last second. My brakes last a lot longer now because I had to use them constantly on hills and now I don't.

EBS is great, not just okay, but only works on the rear wheels. That's okay since it keeps the back end anchored when you go down hill. Forward, that is. It would suck if it was only the front slowing down.