Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hawkeye K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye K&N filter

I have a 06 Hawkeye, stock, and live in Texas near San Antonio. Currently at 7pm it is 97 degrees on my porch....in other words, it gets hot down here. I use my unit for yard work - a lot of stopping and idling, etc. Last summer the thing would get so hot that you did not want to touch any of the plastic covering the engine. Over the winter, I installed the oil cooler, and so far this year it has been remarkably cooler. I know it will get even hotter, but so far I believe it was worth the investment.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, ill look into getting that. where is the best place to buy it?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

Hawkman300, I bought mine at the dealer and had them install it and the po po skid plate to protect it. Remember that it gives you an increased oil capacity, which helps for cooling purposes as well,...so don't forget that when doing oil changes.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

k, how much did it cost? and where is the popo skid plate and is it needed?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Both items can be purchased from any dealer,...they may need to be ordered. As far as prices go, I don't remember exactly, but you should be able to look them up on Polaris website. (My dealer went easy one me and just charged an hour for the cooler, and did the skid plate for free.)

Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

ya, i wanna do every precaution i can to keep it in good condition cuz its like the "family" atv kinda thing cuz im only 15.

and its running awesome. it tops out around 50-55 and hasnt let me down at all so far. one thing is whenever it shut off on me i was just tappin the gas slowly crawling over these weeds and vines and stuff on a steep hill. would that make it shut off maybe, like from the gas being at an angle and not reaching the engine? and when it does get hot, isnt it more likely to cut out from just general things like suddenly releasing the gas and stuff?</end quote></div>

Hawkman, if you're getting 50-55 mph, thats pretty well where it will top out without some big $$ spent. If it shut off on a steep hill or steep angle, it sounds like a fuel problem, not heat. Have you had the carb apart? If so the float setting may be off. I'm not aware of a "hot engine" safety switch on the Hawk. Try setting the idle up, ever so slightly, and try to duplicate the situation that occured when it shut down.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

i havent done any real work to the ATV. the only thing i have done is bleed the brake system cuz i broke a brake line. im about to do the 50 hr maintenance on it tho. and about the fuel problem, well, i dont care much about it as long as it isnt tearing anything major up. im not gonna mess around with anything, and it tends to cut out like that when it is hotter, whether it is caused by overheating or not.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I'd have to agree with Mongrol on this one, sounds more fuel related...

you may also want to check all the wiring to make sure you haven't knocked something loose and grounding out. Check all the wiring that runs close to the engine and frame work for bare wires!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Good point jokout. When wiring and other components get hot, they can expand and loose or affect contact. Should check grounds like CDI or whatever they call the box on Hawkeye.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hawkman300

so, that mobil1 15/50 oil makes it run cooler or what? and so u think it would be a good or bad idea to buy the oil cooler?</end quote></div>

IMO, a 0w oil is simply too thin for an aircooled engine operated in high temps. Maybe if you lived in Alaska or something it would be different. I can't say a 15w/50 oil will make it run cooler, but it will provide better lubrication at high temps than a 0w oil can IMO.

Yes it would be a VERY good idea to buy the aux. oil cooler. Pretty easy to install. I've even considered mounting a fan with a thermostat behind my cooler. I think it was about $239 for the cooler from Polaris.

I'm no expert, just stating my opinions, and experiences.

Quick Reply: hawkeye K&N filter