Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wisconsin ATV Weight Restriction

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>>>Only recently has the weight become an issue, and with only a tiny minority (greenies) blocking its increase or elimination.

+ I would hate to think that the liberal "greenies" may perceive this as a way to limit the use of ATV's in the forests.

+ Perhaps they are, this restricts Polaris's best selling model and all of the quads from Bombardier!

>>>> Right now I can only speculate as to what their reasons are or agenda is.

+ I certainly hope it is not a "hidden agenda" and is merely an over-sight on the part of the legislature.

>>>>Since the resistance is coming from the liberal side of the spectrum I think that narrows our eligible guesses about their motives but I’d still be making assumptions at this point.

+ Very eloquently yet tactfully put.

>>>I’d like to know what their reasons are too. For the life of me, I can’t think of a reason that would make sense, but as soon as I can pinpoint the opposition I plan to ask them their reasons directly.

+ Isn't it amazing that registration/licensing always leads to increased usage restrictions?

+ Of course there are those out there that will say this is for "safety reasons" (everybody wants to be safe) and conserving our forests for future generations (because we all want to be responsible). Because these people want to be perceived as safe and reasonable one more restriction will be added onto our lives.

We need to find out what the legal description of an ATV is?

Old 01-22-2001, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/en...ety/atvsaf.htm

Here is the link which includes the definition on page 4 of the pdf file.

Old 01-22-2001, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thor, you forgot to mention the children. Everything is to benefit/protect/enhance the lives of/etc., etc. the children isn’t it? I mean after all, who wants to be thought of as anti-childern?

OK, here you go verbatim, as described in the latest “Wisconsin All Terrain Vehicle Laws” handbook.

“All-terrain vehicle means an engine-driven device which has a net weight of 650 pounds or less, which has a width of 48 inches or less, which is equipped with a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and which is designed to travel on 3 or more low-pressure tires. A low-pressure tire is a tire which has a minimum width of 6 inches, which is designed to be mounted on a rim with a maximum diameter of 12 inches and which is designed to be inflated with an operating pressure not to exceed 6 pounds per square inch as recommended by the manufacturer.”

There you have it. No mention of how the machine is steered or guided but the seat, weight and width would exclude a Max, Argo or Ranger from qualification. It seems our only current problem with this definition is the specified weight. Of course that’s only until someone comes out with a 56” wide machine on 14” wheels.

Old 01-22-2001, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

floodrunner, That description of ATVs seems like it would not include some ATVs after some aftermarket work:

"width of 48 inches or less": 12 inch tires would push most big bores beyond this.

"minimum width of 6 inches", "rim with a maximum diameter of 12 inches": This cuts out AG tires and the all ellusive rice patty tires on 16 inch rims.

"6 pounds per square inch": Most mud tires are run higher than this.

It seems their grasp of what defines an ATV is a little outdated.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

i think the biggest problem in michigan and in wisconsin is that the people making the laws have never driven a quad. they are not people that know much about quads either. so these weight and engine size restrictions are just numbers that there pulling out of a hat.

later
jon

Old 01-22-2001, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

These rules only seem to pertain to new registrations right?? Is there any problem with crossing the border to ride a SP (like this weekend)??

Should we expect weigh stations along side of the trail??

Old 01-22-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Tex, you’d be correct if that’s how it worked but the manufacturer’s specs are what’s used for registration qualification. After you buy the machine you can do pretty much what you want to it without penalty. There are no cops hiding trailside with tape measures and scales, although I suppose in an extreme case of modification the legal definition could be used against the owner. But the mods would have to be quite extreme or the officer would have to be a real dick to call you on it.

We ride with friends from both Michigan and Minnesota on our Wisconsin trails and they tell us horror stories of how they’re treated by the police while riding public land in those states. Our part-time neighbors up north are all from the Twin Cities area. They drive four hours (each way) to ride the trails in our state. They leave their bikes here all summer long because they say they have no desire to ride in their own state due to the excessive harassment. That’s sad. (Don’t flame me, I’ve never ridden in either MI or MN. This is what I’ve been told not what I’ve experienced. Your actual experiences may vary)

We have it good here in Wisconsin, at least in the county we ride in. The local economy depends on ATVers and snowmobilers to bring dollars in from outside the area. We’re treated well at most of the business and I’ve yet to meet a lawman up there who wasn’t friendly, helpful and courteous. That includes state patrolmen, county sheriffs and DNR wardens.

This thread isn’t an indictment of the “real people” who make this state work. My venom is aimed squarely at the liberal, bunny-kissing, tree-hugging bureaucrats in “the peoples republic of” Madison who prevent this state from being what it could be through ridiculous, oppressive politically correct restrictions. Believe me, I’ve lived in and around Madison most of my life and it rivals Ann Arbor for the Moscow of the Midwest award. It was once said that Madison is so liberal that sleeping with your mother is considered an alternative lifestyle, but I digress……….

Wisconsin is a wonderful state to enjoy riding your ATV. But I guess for now we have to amend that statement to include “as long as it’s not over 650#.” This fight is far from over.

Old 01-22-2001, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Mark, nothing like that is going on at all. For the time being WI is no longer allowing the registration of previously unregistered ATVs that weigh over 650# (that means new machines and any 650#+ machines that weren’t already registered before 12/31/00). Residents with “nonconforming” ATVs registered prior to the first of the year are “grandfathered in.” The riding requirements for non-residents haven’t changed. Your current MN plate is all you should need to ride legally in this state, along with any county stickers that might be required for wherever you ride. MN currently enjoys a reciprocity agreement with WI so you will have no problems at all.

The enforcement of this weight limit will however effect some non-residents who want to ride here. WI requires ATVs to be registered somewhere to ride its public land. Some states don’t require registration (like MI) but collect revenue from riders in the form of trail stickers or passes. WI doesn’t recognize these as a “registration.” Residents of these states wishing to ride their machines in WI legally will need to apply for the $12 registration here. If they have a machine that the manufacturer’s specs say is over 650# their application will be denied because their machine is too heavy to fit within Wisconsin’s legal definition of an ATV.

It sucks, I know, but changes are in the works. Help support them if you care.

Old 01-23-2001, 05:57 AM
Pro Rider

No flaming here, but what kind of horror stories have you heard concerning Minnesota? I have been riding atvs since 1976 and have been stopped only 3 times. Once for a registration check (valid), once for riding on a roadway and once for having a passenger which both resulted in a warning only. My personal experience has been that the DNR guys were simply doing their job and sensed no "hostility" towards me or my friends.
Like you said, your personal experiences may vary but I generally put on 1700 to 2000 miles annually and find it strange that your friends have had such a different experience than me. If you could find out what area they have had problems and email me or post it I would appreciate it.
Sorry for drifting off your topic but this particular subject caught my interest.
On another note, what county do you do most of your riding in? Judging by your pics it looks like an area I would like to check out!

Old 01-23-2001, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

I understand your curiosity but you’re right, this is off the subject. Rather than crowd this thread any more I’ll respond to your personal email address.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin ATV Weight Restriction