Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400cc 2-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 400cc 2-stroke

Allllrighty then! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I need a quad by the end of the month though.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400cc 2-stroke

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sjbr549

the counterbalance drain is a 10mm bolt next to the starter.you'll have to remove the skid plate to get to it.the plug thats missing i think is to put oil in the counterbalance.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the clarification.
I knew oil was coming out of there, I just needed to be 100% sure I was draining it from the intended spot. 10mm screw/bolt is what it is...

The old man at the polaris shop did say to fill in the big front hole until oil runs out... I guess like you would for a trans or gearcase.

Interesting thing has happened for me though.... Maybe I had the front end more downhill than I thought... but I drained from the bottom 10mm screws... and when I opened the front plug to fill, oil ran out it. I looked over the position of the bike and the location of these openings in relation to each other and it just didn't look right.

I have a pretty good eye for level/pitch... but it was awful hot out at the time...

But still I trusted my eye more, so I lifted the rear to see if any more came out. Then I replaced all the bolts and filled through the dipstick to be sure.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400cc 2-stroke

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

I would change that oil frequently a few times after riding instead of just topping it off, just in case the motor flush missed anything.</end quote></div>

I'm going to keep changing it frequently for a while.
Probably before every considerable ride for a while.

The oil that came out today looked real funny. But it was hard to be sure of what I was looking at. Looked like some red clay dust in the oil. But honestly, the 0w30 is a weird greenish tint to start with, and the motor flush I used was red, and the catch pan was black.

I found no gritty feel replacing the plugs except on the front one. I poured flush through it again, and tried to be sure I got it all out.

I think I caught the issue before it did damage, but I'm still going to drain often and inspect the appearance for a while for piece of mind.