Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installed dynojet kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed dynojet kit

All,

I installed a dynojet stage 1 kit along with a K&N airfilter for my 2002 popo sportsman 500 today.
According to the documentation, I am supposed to install the needle clip in the middle and use the #150 jet for < 3000 ft.

I decided to install the #155 jet to see if it would sputter, etc...

What I found was nothing noticeable--it's almost as if I never installed a kit. It runs great, but always has.

Anyone else in this situation?

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

First off if I was you I'd take out the #155 and put in the #150 that the kit calls for because running richer then the kits design calls for defeats the whole purpose of doing the stage 1. With that being said - what little mods that the stage 1 kit involves you cant expect it to act like you put a nitrous kit on especially where you DID NOT follow the directions, what you will notice when kit is installed correctly is that on the warmer days throttle action will be slightly crisper and fuel mileage will go up. All in all for the little money & time that it involved you should be happy with that - I was. If your looking for more sufficient gains be prepared to spend more then $50. and 1 hour of labor. I'm not trying to be a wise *** but stop and consider just how little you modified. Horsepower & Torque cost money and time, and what you've done is the 1st step of many more to get what you want, I'd say a pipe should be your next step IMO.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

I did contact the tech support about putting the larger jet in before I installed it, and I was advised that it would prolly be a good thing if I didnt have any issues. I was told that "everyone's parameters are different".

Wasnt expecting a "nitrous boost", but in the documentation, it states that a substatial gain should be expected. Not in this case.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this ad once that said by adding their device (which looked like a fan blade) in the intake hose you would gain 20mpg or more!.................I didn't do it, if it was that easy, everyone would have it and the cars would probly come with them! My point is don't believe everything you read. Where you will notice your gains from a jet kit is when you add a pipe and more air input (remove the air box lid). Then, jetting is really a requirement to take advantage of the mods you made. So, this is just step one for you! LOL!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

I saw this ad once that said by adding their device (which looked like a fan blade) in the intake hose you would gain 20mpg or more!.................I didn't do it, if it was that easy, everyone would have it and the cars would probly come with them! My point is don't believe everything you read. Where you will notice your gains from a jet kit is when you add a pipe and more air input (remove the air box lid). Then, jetting is really a requirement to take advantage of the mods you made. So, this is just step one for you! LOL!</end quote></div>

My son had me install a dynojet kit and 4 into 1 exhaust,uni air filter and did ABSOLUTELY nothing but sound like a crotchrocket in the 750 nighthawk that I now own! Pulled all this junk off except uni filter,reinstalled stock exhaust system,Ijust went up on main and pilot jet (112 to 115 main-35 to 38 pilot and synched carbs) Ran twice as good this way and now has no long warmup on choke to ride! I have installed kits in several gsxrs and such,but JMO YOU are paying mostly for the TITANIUM carb needles.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, don't get me wrong, not everything needs to be modded. In fact, some of the newer machines like ktm are coming off the floor with great pipes, etc. and one would not notice much, if any, improvement over stock. I haven't touched the exhaust or intake on my sportsmans, and I won't. They are just fine the way they are and I really don't think I would gain much power over stock, yet I know I will make it much louder, which I certainly don't want to do. On the other hand, I have always made these mods to my sportys and gotten great results...money well spent in my opinion. That's what is good about this forum....find out what others have done and if it was worth it or not. All I am saying is don't believe everything you read as his jet kit advertised, also, that the jet kit generally makes more improvement when you make the mods to the intake and exhaust, not just an air cleaner.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

BTW, what does a 750 Nighthawk streetbike have to do with a sportsman 500? Not following the similarities???

Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Have installed several kits in street bikes and atv's, and for what its worth,simple proper rejetting vs kits can usually obtain the same results! Yes I know many offer "special" springs,slide drills and such,but why pay $125-$175 when you dont have to! I know many will disagree,but I've done gsxrs,other makes and atv's and such BOTH ways. Cost factor is what I was referring to and not any particular machine. Why do you think Dynojet has their own own numbers on jets? A simple set of jet drills can determine their actual size! The jets are not what you pay for,but the needles!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

True dat. Jets are jets, the quality of the needles is what we pay for. The dynojet kits are only about $50, cheap kit. Gives you large assortment of jets. Comes with instructions so most any beginner can follow them. You have far more experience than most of us and are on a different level. I value your opinion and I'm glad someone with knowledge and skills is on this forum so we can all learn more about atv's.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

True dat. Jets are jets, the quality of the needles is what we pay for. The dynojet kits are only about $50, cheap kit. Gives you large assortment of jets. Comes with instructions so most any beginner can follow them. You have far more experience than most of us and are on a different level. I value your opinion and I'm glad someone with knowledge and skills is on this forum so we can all learn more about atv's.</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Dont make me think I'm smart! If I was smart I'd be RETIRED by now! Just hanging around to see if I can help. Good luck to all!

Quick Reply: Installed dynojet kit