Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TIRED OF BUYING AIR FILTERS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRED OF BUYING AIR FILTERS

Running 4 bikes in our family gets espensive riding in dusty conditions,im constantly trying to blow out a filter or replacing it.When i did the maintanance on a friends bomby it had a washable filter,it cleaned up nice.Does the washable filters such as a K& N ,protect the engine as well as the OEM filter and prefilter?Idont give a hoot about the little HP i will gain,i want it to protect my investment,cause i keep my bikes for a long time.Would you reccomend a K&N [or other brand] and wheres the cheapest place online to buy one?THANKS IN ADVANCE
ALAN

Old 07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would try e-bay first. Just my opinion. K-N or Uni air filters.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

For your dusty conditions I wouldn't think a kn would be a good choice, because from what i've heard it lets too much in (dirt)
for the dust I would get an outerwears pre filter because a. they are cheap insurance & b. they should prolong the life of the filter

Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

This is a pretty open subject, lots of differing opinion. Mine? Well filters are cheaper than engines and I think stock filters filter best. After market filters are more expensive and in my opinion should not be used without a pre filter. Why? The after market ones flow more air because they filter less, so tbeh need a little help.

One of my machines uses a KN with Outerwears pre filter, but I have to clean both. The other machine, I just blow the stock filter out with air and relace.

The big thing is "how dusty is your ride area"?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think foam is best (like uni) with prefilter for dirt and dust. They really suck for sand, so K&N with outerwear is preferred. However, like Mongrol says, the stock filter really does offer the best filtration. But, like most everyone else here, it is the first thing to go for me!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, stock is best,never saw anything get past......cheap also........

Old 07-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If not stock use only Uni, seen a lot of neglect on K&N's and not as forgiving as stock or Uni.

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am STOCK all the way..............I know the others breathe better and more flow in my books mean less protection............The others are great for the black-top .....IMO..............Caper............

I ride in dusty trails also.........I blow out the paper filters out with air and wash the pre-filter out in hot soapy water.....And they get changed every spring........

Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

YEP ,WHAT I THOUGHT ,STICK WITH OEM PAPER,THROW AWAYS AND PREFILTER.My wifes 05 500ho is wicked sensitive to a dirty filter,machine spits and sputters and will make it overheat,The two magnums dont act out with a slightly dirty filter.Dont know about my new 07 efi 500ho Im always leading ,and its only couple weeks old
ohh well i just thought that outlander filter was neat,just wash it out,bit probablt all the crap is going in the engine.
THANKS AGAIN for the advise
ALAN

Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I use both. When we ride up in the mountains on the dusty hard pack, I throw my stock in with pre-filter. When I
go trailing in the woods with mixed mud holes, I use my K&N w\outerwear. Any ATV excusrion is a real treat for me especially
these days (no time and money) so I can take time to prepare with switching them out.

R'

Quick Reply: TIRED OF BUYING AIR FILTERS