Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Secondary Slow to shift after lots of plowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Slow to shift after lots of plowing

After using my Sport 400 last winter for lots of snow plowing, I have developed 2 issues that I'd like to fix.

1) Seems to be a light creep at idle - which makes it difficult to shift into neutral or reverse. I've read that it is a washer (possibly a fiber and a brass one?) that needs replacing. Is that correct? Can anyone walk me through it?

2) My secondary waits for a while when I'm topped out and then shifts all at once.

It will redline going maybe 20mph, sits there for a second or 2, then you can feel a firm shift, the rpms drop and the quad takes off, winding out to top speed.

Several years back, my wife bought me a hot seat Sport utility clutch kit (Primary weights, primary spring, secondary spring and helix) which I installed. Would a new clutch kit fix everything? Or am I in for some additional repairs?

I've also installed a top end pipe & silencer.

P.S. I don't need to plow anymore as I have bought a New holland 4wd Tractor with a loader to handle that.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yes this is true about the washers in the ebs on the primary but you have to have special tools to take the primary apart. I don't really think that this is your problem being that the secondary is acting up. I would take the secondary off and inspect then clean. I would then try to shim up the secondary to see if this corrects the problem. You can get the shims from polaris and you put the shims in behind the secondary. I think that maybe your spring is weak or something. You can check the ebs by removing the belt and looking down into the primary at the grooved bushing that the belt rides on and try to move it back and forth.(sheave to sheave) If you can move it even just a little then you need to replace both washers. Check to see if your motor mounts are good too for this could have caused misalignment. I had the same problem and come to find out the primary had about 8 hairline cracks in it around the ebs clutch.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Being that I have a Sport 400 (2wd 2-stroke), I do not have the EBS system. Does that change anything?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Pull your secondary clutch down and check for worn or melted ramp buttons, can be source of problem. Check helix angles for grinding . If hi engine speed before engaging,could be buttons,helix,or spring. Good luck

Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buttons are gone in the secondary i would guess.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I would emagine that you don't need to change the spacers for the ebs. lol. I forgot about the buttons on those models but I have read alot on them and it does sound like your problem.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like a clutch problem to me too. Unfortunately plowing in high gear causes a lot of heat buildup in belt drives. I suppose it could have gotten hot enough to melt the plastic clutch buttons but think the clutch cover would have melted too. But it's not an EBS problem if no one put an EBS kit on it. If you aren't the original owner it could be EBS and you wouldn't know until you take the clutch cover off and look.

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just pull cover off and take a look. 1 bolt and pull secondary clutch right off and check the ramp plastic buttons and if bad at like $6.00 for the 3 its a check fix for sure. as mentioned when plowing in high it puts that much more faster wear on it. imo.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks to everyone. Being that I only have high, neutral and reverse, low is not really an option. I am the original owner, so I'm positive that there was never an EBS kit installed.

Are the buttons a typical item that my dealer would carry? Or should I order them online?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Stock ITEM,I replace em on a REGULAR basis! At least GOOD dealers should stock em! STENDORI price now about 9 BUCKS A PIECE! YES I KNOW,SOMEONES ON CRACK THATS DOING THE PRICING!!! Can get CHEAPER online! Also just checked Polaris price on coolant resevoir bottle for customer this morning OVER 50 bucks retail! THIS IS PLAIN NUTS!!

Quick Reply: Secondary Slow to shift after lots of plowing