Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

outlaw are junk ( WTF )

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlaw are junk ( WTF )

my friend and i just clocked our quads today, and his rappy 660 topped out at 71mph, also its an 2001 model and its a little ran down so i dont know if 71mph is good for that quad. but anyway we clocked mine at 82mph give or take, and we estimated it to do 0-60 in about 5 seconds... how could a quad like this be called junk, i out ran a 700 raptor before and went places a vinson 500 got stuck...

also i know for a fact the outlaw 90 is junk, all it consists of is a generic brand quad with polaris graphics... cant wait to get my new quad 2mar, a dvx300 for a spare. i ride all the time so it couldnt hurt to have another quad just in case...

banshee's for breakfast, scrambler's for lunch. snackin on a raptor, waiting for dinner...

Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate Polaris for the most part.......... The Utes are big and clunky and handle like tanks........

HOWEVER!!!!

I would never call them junk..... in fact if I was going to buy a pure WORK machine, I would totally consider a Polaris... My Father's Sportsman 700 is a beast, the thing could pull a house off its foundation.... and he has owned three Scramblers, two 400cc and one 500cc....all were reliable and punished hard.... none were junk......

He also had an old 94 300cc two-stroke that was worked like a mule - I abused it for a year when we were putting our house up....... and is still running to this day at his neighbors house.......

I also know several people with Preds and Outlaws and none of them are junk or broken a lot...... In fact one of them bought an Outlaw 500 and eventually traded it in on a KFX700.... only to have the KFX700 break constantly and have all kinds of issues...... now he has a new 525s and loves it...... I rode the thing and it is a really sweet ride....by far the best Polaris I've ever ridden and I would consider buying one..... it was fast and handled nice, and for the first time on a Polaris in my life the ergonomics did not feel odd and spacey.....

Like I said I'm not a big Polaris fan, but I have a hard time calling them junk..... what I don't like about them is a personal preference........I've only owned Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda for the most part.... but that is mostly for personal comfort.... I tend to like Suzuki and Honda ergonomics the best, and their handling goes best with my riding style......

But if Polaris made a machine that felt like a Suzuki I would buy it and not be afraid that it would be junk.....

Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

glad2cu, I understand your frustration and know how it fells to have a disappointed child in the house, you just want your son to be happy, and Polaris looks to be the culprit in this case and to some extent they do have some responsibility here, but I can tell you that the first responsibility lies with the dealer!
Polaris policy is to handle all problems like this through the dealer and relies on the dealer to make good judgments as to the validity of the customer claim and make the customer happy when Polaris is at fault. In so many of these cases it is the dealer that for what ever reason drops the ball and doesn't carry through!
Many dealers just don't care about customer service as long as they have your money, blame Polaris and go on to the next sale! Volume is all that counts to them!
Some dealers will deny warrantee claims without even contacting Polaris because they make less profit on warrantee work then fixing your machine at their inflated shop rate and commission on over the counter parts that they make nothing on through warrantee!
There are some that just don't invest in a service department and have no idea or intent on fixing your machine! Oil changes are about the limit of such shops and they may actually screw that up!
And then there are the dealers that care about their customers and rely heavily on repeat sales so they bend over backwards to keep their loyal customers happy...If your lucky you buy your bike from a dealer like this because they will go to bat for you if you have problems and probably won't sell you a product they don't believe in to begin with!
I have no idea just where your dealer falls but it seems odd to me that we have heard nothing about brake failures of this nature on the Outlaw 90 that I can recall and believe me, if there is an issue with anything Polaris, it shows up here!
I would suggest breaking out the yellow pages and searching for another dealer in your area and see if you can get a little help with this...
Good luck and I hope you can get your son smiling again real soon!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

I know that everyone has an opinion about brand but I don't see the "big clunky tanks" that everyone keeps mentioning!? Yes my 500 is alittle heavy but it's more sure footed than it should be and I think that it handles pretty darn good for a 700 lb. machine.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

I know that everyone has an opinion about brand but I don't see the "big clunky tanks" that everyone keeps mentioning!? Yes my 500 is alittle heavy but it's more sure footed than it should be and I think that it handles pretty darn good for a 700 lb. machine.</end quote></div>

Well if you jumped from your 500 to a Honda Rancher 420, you would see what people are talking about......

Two machines, roughly the same class.... but the handling of the lighter Honda would feel much more light and refined..... so in contrast people will call the Polaris heavy and clunky, or tank-like.....

Your 700 pound machine might handle well for a 700 pound machine, but the fact is it is still a 700 pound machine (and Polaris has the least accurate "dry weight" in the industry).....

Just by the nature of physics alone, being bigger and heavier - the Polaris is not going to compare favorably in the sporty department - it is going to feel much different then a Honda or Suzuki.......

With that said, the extra weight has advantages to many riders..... it will ride smoother and stay planted on the ground better. It will pull and push and tow more...... many people want these things more then a sporty ride.... which explains why the Polaris Sportsman line has been such an excellent seller for years and years.....

For a guy like me, who rides sport machines, most Utes are going to feel like a tank in mud..... but a few Utes out there do handle more sporty ....not totally sporty but much closer ..........and the King Quad is one of them, so too is the Rancher.........

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay. The big Polaris utes don't handle like lightweight sports. That makes sense.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

I know that everyone has an opinion about brand but I don't see the "big clunky tanks" that everyone keeps mentioning!? Yes my 500 is alittle heavy but it's more sure footed than it should be and I think that it handles pretty darn good for a 700 lb. machine.</end quote></div>

Well if you jumped from your 500 to a Honda Rancher 420, you would see what people are talking about......

Two machines, roughly the same class.... but the handling of the lighter Honda would feel much more light and refined..... so in contrast people will call the Polaris heavy and clunky, or tank-like.....

Your 700 pound machine might handle well for a 700 pound machine, but the fact is it is still a 700 pound machine (and Polaris has the least accurate "dry weight" in the industry).....

Just by the nature of physics alone, being bigger and heavier - the Polaris is not going to compare favorably in the sporty department - it is going to feel much different then a Honda or Suzuki.......

With that said, the extra weight has advantages to many riders..... it will ride smoother and stay planted on the ground better. It will pull and push and tow more...... many people want these things more then a sporty ride.... which explains why the Polaris Sportsman line has been such an excellent seller for years and years.....

For a guy like me, who rides sport machines, most Utes are going to feel like a tank in mud..... but a few Utes out there do handle more sporty ....not totally sporty but much closer ..........and the King Quad is one of them, so too is the Rancher.........</end quote></div>

I've ridden many different hondas little and big and I owned a 450 foreman for a spell (good quad very durable) but I still like the handling and ride of the heavier popo. I guess maybe it's because that it will keep all four tires planted on the ground alot better than the lighter bikes. To me the popo don't feel like it weighs 700 pounds when you're riding it is what I was really trying to say. Yeah she's a tank but she's far from "clunky" and it will go anywhere I ask it to go with little effort.
I agree that no ute is gonna handle or feel like a sport though.....different animals.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

(and Polaris has the least accurate "dry weight" in the industry).....

I think you need to re-write that as the most accurate dry weight. I've read about every shootout that atvsport put out, and they allmost allways weight the quads either with full fluids or 1 gal of gas. And Polaris has allways been within what fluids would weigh added to the dry weight. The biggest culprits were Yamaha and you mighty Suzuki. In fact the LTR listed dry at 168lbs, but came in at 412 with just one gal of gas.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Glad2CU, I also have not heard of any brake problems with the Outlaw 90. My daughter races her 90 in XC races. It is on it's second year and still on the stock brakes. We have had absolutely no problems with it. The only time it died was when the tail light wire came unplugged and hit the frame blowing the main fuse when she hit the brakes in the timing chute, popped in the spare fuse and it took right off again. She is currently in first place in her class in the series chocked full of boys riding Apexes and DDR machines.

You might want to look at your son/daughter riding style. Does he/she ride their brakes alot unknowingly or rest their grip on the brake levers? This will wear out brakes in just a few outings. I caught my youngest daughter doing this when she first started to ride and she did not even realize she was doing it.

As far as Outlaw reliability mine has held up really well. The only things I could complain about are the front wheel bearings, steering stem bushing and rear a-arm bushings, although I got 1 1/2 years out of those before changing them.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: GE4x4

(and Polaris has the least accurate "dry weight" in the industry).....

I think you need to re-write that as the most accurate dry weight. I've read about every shootout that atvsport put out, and they allmost allways weight the quads either with full fluids or 1 gal of gas. And Polaris has allways been within what fluids would weigh added to the dry weight. The biggest culprits were Yamaha and you mighty Suzuki. In fact the LTR listed dry at 168lbs, but came in at 412 with just one gal of gas.</end quote></div>

Oh Suzuki is horrible too.... so is Yamaha.... they all lie... Kawasaki leaked that their "dry" weight was with no wheels and tires.....lol.... that is just silly....

Suzuki has been saying the z400 weighs 372 pounds for years, but now they admit it is actually 425 with gas and oil......

However, my Father weighed his Scrambler 500 once, and I cannot recall the exact numbers but it was about 70 pounds more then his listed dry weight......Polaris has gotten better recently but in the old days they were the worst of all.......

I'm glad to see more and more going with "ride weight" since that is the only one that matters......

Quick Reply: outlaw are junk ( WTF )