Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is the Predator 500 really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Predator 500 really that bad?

I've been hearing a lot of talk that the Predator 500, all around, really isn't that great of an atv to get. I heard they're slow, hard to wheelie, and feel more like a utility atv more than anything. I was thinking about getting one, but after reading such stuff, I don't know if I want one anymore. Can anyone prove/disprove these statements? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where you would hear that from.....although they are not nearly as popular as say a yamaha 450 or raptor, they will run with them all and their top speed usually puts them out ahead. I have owned a blaster, raptor 660, z400, and two predators. They were all modded. I liked riding them all, of course, riding ANY atv is better than ANY good day at work! The reason I am on my second predator is simply because the first one was stolen and I had just finished modding it and had not ridden it yet, so I had to do it all again to get it out of my system. First, nothing wheelies like a modded blaster....it is a wheelie machine! The no-bump-steer front end on the pre 07 predator is heavier, so wheelies take more effort without mods. The 07 changed the front end and went to an anti squat rear end. I dont' know specs on weight, etc, but I can say it wheelies just fine. If you really like wheelies, though, the raptor has got to be the top dog. I also have two utes and the preddy feels nothing like them! As for reliability, I have had no problems...not one. I know several people who have them all the way back to the 03's....same thing, no problems other than the usual complaints on hard shifting, etc. and no reverse! But those problems were all resolved by 05. To get more factual information, if you are really interested in a preddy, go to www.predatorowners.com. It is a good forum.

The reason I bought a predator was simply economics. It comes with douglas wheels, steel braided brake lines, lifetime axle, maxxis razr tires, Fox podium shocks (reservoirs with the Troy Lee Edition), etc. All for about $5400! That leaves me a lot of money for mods!

HOWEVER, if I was going to buy one right now, I would buy the new outlaw (no more predators...merged with the outlaw) with the ktm 525 motor. They are hard to beat.

I'm certainly not brand loyal and I'm not biased. I'm one of those who agree that all mfr's make a good quad. They all have their good and bad. If I could have only one atv, I would buy a renegade 800R with no hesitation. Finally, someone listened and built an atv that does it all with style!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear a mostly bad things from people who never had one but mostly good things from peope who do. I think it has a bad reputation because Polaris hasn't been making sport ATVs for decades like some others have. Some poeple seem to think... Anything that hasn't been around forever is crap... Change is bad... New technology doesn't work like things did way back in the good old days. I believe the people who have them more than the people who don't.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

I hear a mostly bad things from people who never had one but mostly good things from peope who do. I think it has a bad reputation because Polaris hasn't been making sport ATVs for decades like some others have. Some poeple seem to think... Anything that hasn't been around forever is crap... Change is bad... New technology doesn't work like things did way back in the good old days. I believe the people who have them more than the people who don't.</end quote></div>

He hit the nail on the head.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

AMEN!

I laugh at the biased, uneducated, ignoramous opinions of some people. For example: How can someone say a Raptor is a lousy atv and a banshee is the best atv and they never had any problems with it, but on another post they confess they have only had the banshee for 4 months and obviously never owned a raptor! It would have been better to say they like their banshee and that they haven't had it long so they don't give misinformation to someone who is looking for an informed and unbiased opinion. Just my 2 cents!......

The following users liked this post:
Kenny1180 (06-19-2021)
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tell people what problems I have or haven't had SO FAR and I'm not afraid to say if it's been only been two months, or two years, or whatever. I can also say what problems my best friends have even though I don't own what they do. But I never say something like all brand X or all model Z are a POS, even if I think they are, because I can't back something like that up with facts.

I have no use whatsoever for a Banshee but can't say they're bad because I never rode one. I do think it's funny as hell when Banshee owners tell me they think their Banshees will do <u>at least</u> 90 mph but they don't have a speedometer, have never raced them on a track, never had them checked with a radar or a GPS or anything else. I know they're fast because one of them was hauling *** when I passed him. All the Banshee owners I talk to say how fast they are, but when they're on rocky or bumpy trails they're not so fast. If we were on a smooth trail they would leave me so far behind I wouldn't be able to see them in a few seconds. But 90+ mph? I don't think so. I think they exaggerate a lot.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

Atv Fan, I bought my Predator new in March of 04. It was an 03 leftover. I have heard more bad things about the 03 but none of them has ever seemed to happen to mine. The only problem I've had is the seals in the front shocks leaked after two years of sitting in my shed. I havent rode it much the past two years but when I first bought it I rode it every day. I came from a Honda 250x and the difference was like apples and oranges. Tons of power, great suspension, awesome for hillclimbing, and tons of power.

Even my buddy who is a die hard honda guy loves this thing and always wanted to switch quads when we were riding. Our little township has a Grange Fair and they have a quad race every year, and this guy has raced my Predator instead of his own machine.

The downsides I can tell you of is 03, 04 no reverse but you learn to ride without it real quick, wasnt really a problem. They are heavy and have a lot of travel in the rear suspension which sucks for me cause I'm a short guy and for me to pick up the rear end to slide it around by the time I lifted it as high as I could the shocks were just expanded and the tires were like a 1/2" off the ground. I'd go ride one and see what you think, and how you like it. I myself liked the handling of my X just for the fact that I could throw it around better while riding the Predator stays planted. Go ride em all and decide for yourself. I wouldnt not buy one because of what other people say!!!

The following users liked this post:
Idk30000 (03-30-2021)
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Rowe,

I'm short too and have the same problem lifting my preddy when necessary. I flipped the rear grab bar so I can lift it higher. It works much better for me now! LOL! Sometimes being short has it's advantages.....sometimes not so much!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Usually those slamming the Predator, ride the competitors machines and have a little bit of tunnel vision.

I love my 03 Predator. Same complaint here, no reverse but It's still a blast to ride. I don't know about the slow part since I think it is pretty quick. Yea they may not pull wheelies like the 400ex but their power seams to be more on the top end and feel more like a 2 stroke then a 4 stroke.

They will pull wheelies though you just have to have the traction since they will spin the rear more then they dig in. Get in some hard packed terrain and I have had it take off in 1st, hit 2nd, then hit 3rd perfect but scaring the crap out of me because I stood it up as soon as I released the clutch. Sheesh I wasn't ready for it. Just last month I was crossing the interstate from trail to trail and goosed it in second to cross the last side pulling the front wheels off the ground. It is different in how the power hits and you just have to play with it. Mine is 5 years old and I still haven't broke 50 hours yet due to work and life, so I'm still "playing" with it.

It's still a blast and I love the way it handles on the twisty trails. You get on a long washboard corridor though and your in for a hurtin. 50mph usually smooths that out though.

We also have Sportsmans and they are a world different. To be honest though I prefer riding a Sportsman due to the comfortable ride and the go anywhere attitude. Too many times I have been on the Predator and had to turn around due to deep water or really deep mud. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Sand country and I'll grab the Predator, anything else and I grab the Sportsman.

No matter what, the bottom line is to buy what YOU like no matter who makes it.

I would also like to state that you should try a larger Sportsman too since they have soo many more uses, Plowing, Towing trailers, and what not. To be honest if I did it over again I would have went sportsman back then instead and only needed 2 ATVs instead of 3. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It all depends what your into and where you ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

OK enough of my rambling.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a well written honest review of the '07 Predator 500.
'07 Predator review

I think the review nails everything really well. Like the others said, stock the Predator is a little weak on bottom but hits hard in the middle and top. But get rid of the soda straw intake with a clamp on filter and a good flowing slip on pipe and it makes an incredible difference in the bottom end. The '07 Predator is one of the easier quads out to ride wheelies on, very easy to balance and go through all the gears while leaning back. In fact it is way easier to wheelie my '07 Preddy than my 525 irs Outlaw.

Stock the springs are too stiff for my light weight, but if you are heavier they will be perfect. And a spring kit is pretty reasonable for the Preddy if you want lighter springs.

Quick Reply: Is the Predator 500 really that bad?