ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   lock and ride anchor kits*looking for after market???? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/298771-lock-ride-anchor-kits-looking-after-market.html)

lobodog3 10-04-2008 09:43 AM

lock and ride anchor kits*looking for after market????

Hi just got a new xp 550 and want to put my kimpex box on , and the polaris lock and ride anchor kits are brutaly expensive.

Does any body know of an after market system(maybe a type of boat drain plug) that is resonable priced and will fit the holes on the sportsman bike.

Some one has to have done something like this before,i need this stuff like yesterday as the polaris front expansion box is on back order and i have no place to put my daily travilling crap (cooler coat camera ropes straps and other junk)

thanks Lou
09 550 xp
stealth black
front and rear bush guards
polaris wintch
front expantion box
lock and ride wind screen
garmin 76csx with ram mount
no place for my molson canadian to go

DODGE57HEMI 10-04-2008 10:55 AM

I am unable to help with your question other than to say check with rockymoutainatv.com or bikebandit.com and see what you can find.

I think you are one of the first on the forum to have a XP how do you like it?

bentarrow 10-04-2008 01:09 PM

I saw 1 rider using carabiner's on the racks, used for climbing but worked great for what he wanted, then a bungy cord from them across his cooler and extra gas.
How does the anti kick back feel if you have riden over any rough ground. There are a few, I found 3, 550XPs for sale here but no EPS units yet. I need something easier on my wifes hands and arms.

lobodog3 11-21-2008 09:56 AM

Still looking for something cheap in canada.
And these dam things are made in canada to
Dam they must cost like 80 cents american(1 buck canadian) to make.
Nobody makes there own lock and ride stuff up?

HIGHOCTANE 11-21-2008 10:36 AM

I thought about the boat drain plug myself long ago,just never tried it. I think they would be too large. With some work I iagine it could be made to work but wuld the time be worth the savings?
I haven't seen any aftermarket.

Edit-mayeb worth it. List is $32.99 CAN..is that right?? Holy crap

lobodog3 11-21-2008 11:19 AM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

I thought about the boat drain plug myself long ago,just never tried it. I think they would be too large. With some work I iagine it could be made to work but wuld the time be worth the savings?

I haven't seen any aftermarket.

Edit-mayeb worth it. List is $32.99 CAN..is that right?? Holy crap</end quote></div>

Ya and guess what that's each!

I got to and converted my kimpex box to the lock and ride and now it's great, just put it on when needed.
When i cruze around local the machine is naked the way it was born![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

MooseHenden 11-21-2008 12:27 PM

I thought about the boat plug too after seeing a guy on eBay selling a metal rear rack for the Sportsman X2. It looked like they were using boat plugs to hold it down on the dumpbox. The holes I have are about an inch or so. I made a wood box with 1" dowels so I can carry a bunch of firewood in the back and they were very tight. I ended up sanding them down to a little over 7/8ths of an inch. Fits much better.

PS At great risk to loss of personal life and limb I went out to my garage and rummaged around my boat stuff until I found a boat plug. I tried it out in the lock and ride holes on the corners of the X2 dumpbox. It fit fine. It was a little tough to turn to get it fully tight but it didn't come out until I was almost starting to pick the quad up off the suspension. Probably about 50 lbs. holding force. I found some at this site: Boat plugs I would recommend the lever type. I believe that is what Polaris is using.

PPS They are only about $4-$5 apiece. I can feel my creative juices flowing now.

PPPS I would make a template with a large piece of paper to locate the centers of the mounting holes on the quad. I would also use large fender washers inside the plastic box you bought to distribute the weight of the pull the anchor would make.

rancher55 11-21-2008 12:50 PM

That sounds like something I could use also!
I've been trying to figure out a way to increase the usable size of the rear rack on my XP and with the boat plugs I could make something that should work fine!
Good job Moose![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

HIGHOCTANE 11-21-2008 01:00 PM

Moose nice work...I was going to try the same thing when I got home today. I don't need any right now but I figured it would give me something to tinker with inside since it's a little chilly out. Not by most of you guys standards,lol. I am originally from Florida.
Oh well I'll have to find something to tinker with.
I wish I still had my tubing bender and welder I'd make a set of low profile rack extensions. Something about 2" high would work for what I need and look better than the tall factory ones IMO.

MooseHenden 11-21-2008 01:01 PM

Thanks for the vote of approval. I'm always tinkering. I can make almost anything out of wood. I should probably take a welding class someday so I can fab things out of aluminum.