ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Polaris 850 XP Shootout (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/298791-polaris-850-xp-shootout.html)

TechRider 10-04-2008 04:44 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Just got a DVD from my dealer that has a shootout of the XP against Thr Grizz, Brute Force, and Outlander. I know it's by Polaris but pretty cool to see all the new features put up against the competition. Awesome video!

Link - http://www.techci.com/Polaris/PolarisAtv.html

DODGE57HEMI 10-04-2008 05:57 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Nice vids! Being a Polaris fan I do ask ehy they must do these made up test rather that a real world (on the trail) test? I would like to see how it stack up in a real enviorment test rather than a one Polaris made up for its machines! For instance they should show all the manufaturers pulling the same log to a certain distance and see which one gets there first or if at all. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] JMO

Thanks D57H

HIGHOCTANE 10-04-2008 06:01 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Doesn't matter what/hows tests are performed someone wil always say the tests are biased or "not real world". There are alot of different riding styles. Can't please everyone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The more real world the test the harder it is to minimize variables not caused by the machine's performance.

DODGE57HEMI 10-04-2008 06:06 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

That might be true but this is what Yamaha does on there vids and it makes it much more believable!

biz4two 10-04-2008 09:08 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

GREAT videos provided! I sure did like the 850 with the front brush bar and lights setup. That really caught my eye!

It is just so hard to wait for a "test" ride! I'm calling a local dealer this week...and see if they have any in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

H20 10-05-2008 12:05 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Good videos, I think there is no arguing that the XP has the most suspension travel and the highest ground clearance.
However the handle bar shock test should have been done with all bikes running the same wheel and tire package.( It just makes sense that the 14 inch rims will be better on this test)
Also the pulling test is bias because of the better tires and larger diameter rims the XP had over the competition.
They ran the 10 second drag race against the 08 outlander with the H.O. engine rather than the new 09 with the 800R engine.
Either way the XP is going to be a bada$$ bike.
I hope the reliability will be there in the long run.

mtpockets 10-05-2008 01:01 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: H20

I hope the reliability will be there in the long run.</end quote></div>

Good point!
The first year model Pol ATV's almost always have issues for some strange reason.

-First few years of SP's had the plastic steering bushing that wore-out.
-My first SP700 (2002) had water pump leaks........and so did the rest of them that year.
-The first year 500 with EFI had the stalling issues that took forever to resolve.
-the first "Polaris" winch (actually Chinese-made junk) had the free-spooling issues and wouldn't go up or down sometimes.
-Scrambler "concertric drive" that would snap over big jumps.
-SP800's and melting plastic.
-Bending mounting plates for the Glacier2 plows that sends it right through the radiator!
-Camo fenders turning purple from the sun fading it.
Just to name a few! LOL!

I hope Pol has TESTED this new 850. It LOOKS like a GREAT ride!

ATVonics PowerSports 10-05-2008 01:22 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

Nice videos and I liked the elephant gun, but I agree I would like to see a head to head contest pulling the log or something. And a better question why didnt they include the new ARCTIC CAT Thundercat in the shoot out????????

biz4two 10-05-2008 10:11 PM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: H20

However the handle bar shock test should have been done with all bikes running the same wheel and tire package.( It just makes sense that the 14 inch rims will be better on this test)

Also the pulling test is bias because of the better tires and larger diameter rims the XP had over the competition.

Either way the XP is going to be a bada$$ bike.

I hope the reliability will be there in the long run.</end quote></div>

I respectfully disagree. If the other bikes came with different tire packages as optional equipment, then fine, but that is the whole idea of the tests. See who has the "BEST" ATV. It shouldn't be up to Polaris to "upgrade" or "downgrade" the tires. If the Japanese put poor tires, then these tests should expose that.

IMO...not bias at all...just a true test with OEM factory setups.

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

H20 10-06-2008 12:10 AM

Polaris 850 XP Shootout

I totally agree with you. If manufactures offer their bikes with these tires so be it.
I was wondering what the results would have been with equal wheel and tire size and rating.