ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   450 killer (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/301282-450-killer.html)

GregW 11-14-2008 11:47 PM

450 killer

I have an 07 TLD Predator. I'm tired of hearing about all the 450's. I know, aside from the new outlaws, and the KTM's, I can beat some, and run close with others. I know I can run almost all of them down on top end. I'm considering the main three, plus a rev box, and to drop one tooth off both the front and rear sprockets. Is this a good idea? any other suggestions? Money is a factor.

DeathValleyReaper 11-15-2008 01:00 AM

450 killer

your quad is pretty beefy out the factory, you just need to concentrate on your exhaust and jet kit, if you get the right combo then you will be eating factory 450's for breakfast ( not including the yfz450r or bill ballance edition ) but most of the 450's. the rev box is a good idea but if your gonna mess with the teeth then give it more bottom end. your quad has plenty on the top...

be careful, ive had some 450's with a few mods on them shut down my outlaw in a race. with the right mods you can do anything...

GregW 11-15-2008 01:21 AM

450 killer

I want to drop one tooth on both sprockets in order to get just a little bit more low end, without shaving off too much of my top end. The Predator is know for a wicked mid, and top end pull, but lacks on the low end. I can imagine it is due to the ristricted air box, and exhaust. I've taken it across the field next to my house before without a helmet, and I swear the exhaust is so quiet and restrictive that I can hear the "woosh" of the cams as I go through the gears.

DeathValleyReaper 11-15-2008 01:39 AM

450 killer

an aftermarket exhaust is needed then, the predators are good on mid and top end, but the bottom end is pitiful. the sprocket swap would be great for it. the most important part of a race is the holeshot, so top end is only nescicary on long stretches. the 450's lack the straight away power because of being tuned for tight turns. you should get a hmf pipe and a jet kit for your predator, the hmf pipe is very open and doesnt constrict at all. the jet kit will help your mid range alot, and the tooth change will give your lil quad more hop....

Banshee's for breakfast, 450R's for lunch, snackin on a Raptor, waiting for dinner...

GregW 11-15-2008 01:09 PM

450 killer

I've considered the HMF Bill Ballance pipe. I've heard they give very good low end increases. I can never make up my mind, becasue there are so many choices out there. The sound output is also a factor. I ride my quad out of town, and I sometimes putt around with my daughter on it down the alleys. It's a small town, need I say more. On the trails I usually ride, it seems to be geared a bit high, but I figure that with a pipe, and just slightly lower gearing shoud be about a perfect mix of top and bottom. I've learned that the factory rev limiter is set at a pathetic 8,600 rpm. No wonder I hit the limiter a lot when I get after it.

TLC 11-15-2008 01:52 PM

450 killer

Are you sure they do not hang with 450s ? 500 Preditor test ride and HP dyno test.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Power The Predator 500 has plenty of it. All of our riders liked the power that it provided. The Predator easily smoked Z400s, beat stock Raptors, and would beat many piped and jetted Raptors depending on the weight of the rider. In the lower RPMs, the Predator does not have quite the torque that the Raptor 660 provides and does not lug around as well. But get after it and the dual overhead cam Fuji motor revs nicely and the power really comes on in the higher RPMs. The 42-mm BSR carb and the pulse fuel pump worked flawlessly during all of our testing. At 42 HP on the Dyno the Predator has the Raptor easily beat, but on the track the Predator loses some of that advantage since it carries an extra 40 lbs.</end quote></div>

75 mph top as well.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Not it has me wondering what the even more powerful 525 can do.

GregW 11-15-2008 02:22 PM

450 killer

Actually, a pred will go more than 75. Some people don't believe me when I say it will run 80 if you hold on it on a flat, smooth road, but in all honesty, it will do every bit of 80. Granted how quick a quad gets to it's top speed is more of a thrill to most, people still like to brag about a quad's top speed. I'm trying to keep my top speed, but work on the low end power as well.

Evasiveone 11-15-2008 02:47 PM

450 killer

The most restrictive part of the Predator 500 is the soda straw it has to breathe through. Go to D2MOTO.com and get their intake adapter and the K&N RU5114 filter that goes with it.

D2Moto filter

Then a good aftermarket slip on exhaust. I put the HMF Ironman on our '07 Predator LE. Just these 2 things make a huge difference in low end power on the Predator. I would really do your homework on the aftermarket CDI's though. Several of them have a nasty habit of trashing the one way in the Predators.

The filter and pipe will really help the speed of the Predator and keep it really close to most bikes out there, although I can still walk my Predator 500 with my 525 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

GregW 11-15-2008 02:58 PM

450 killer

Yeah, I have noticed that snorkel on the air box. It is in the dumbest place too. I noticed that at low-medium speed riding, after a while, I'd loose power. I figured out that it was the exhaust heat was being sucked into the air box. I wrapped the header, and that took care of a lot of the problem. It also looks very restrictive. How loud is the HMF Ironman, and does it come with a quiet core option? I've heard with some pipes, you loose most of the gain the pipe gives you with a quiet core, and others don't. Like I said, I live in a small town, need I say more.

firehog 11-15-2008 09:26 PM

450 killer

All these guys are right on track. I, too, have on 07 Troy Lee. It is my second preddy, my first being an 05. I have done quite a bit of research before modding it. HMF makes the best exhaust out there for the preddy, and it is quite inexpensive. I have the performance series pipe and header. I also have the silencer that you can add when you want. Fortunately, for me, I don't have to worry about decibals unless I go to the coast. I gutted the intake and replaced it with a UM Racing aluminum air box, KN filter, and outerwears on the filter and the air box lid so there are two outerwears, no lid. I used a dynojet jet kit. I dropped to a 13 tooth front sprocket, but haven't touched the rear yet. You will see considerable improvement in your low and mid range and torque, while not sacrificing the top end. I didn't check my top speed before and after, but I'm sure I didn't lose more than 5mph if even that. I have no problems with heat and it runs like a raped ape! I am a little reluctant to change out the cdi box as I can't seem to get the results from anyone. It is my understanding that Polaris increased the rev limit on the stock cdi by 1000 rpm for the 07's. However, the cdi box should still help with the power curve. I'm still considering the upgrade, but not sure if it's worth throwing $300 at it. I'm hoping someone else will find out if it is worthwhile for me!!!! I am pretty happy with the way it runs now.