Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Most Reliable ATV, Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For cars I would have to say Toyota.My dad had a torcell[sp?] for over20 yeras he drove from work and back home each day, its about a 70mile drive eachway.So when he finally decided to sale it, it had I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-400 thousand miles on it.The nonly thing he ever done to it was change the oil and new tires when needed.

For 4-wheelers its Honda all the way.I have a friend with a 00' 2x4 4trx and hes never had a problem with it.Now on the other hand with my Polaris I havent had any real big problems just little annoyances that HAVE to be delt with, and can take about a week to get fixed=\

Old 02-04-2001, 07:25 AM
Range Rover

tried and true ya thats what they'll do.they'll bore you to death and try nothing new.when you buy a honda you know its not a dud.but you'll need a Polaris to get through the mud.you know you wont break down after a day in the deep.so go home clean brakes cause the water do creep.all wheel drive, sealed brakes the've always been there.come on honda take a chance try taking a dare.you can doe better dont be such a bore.let us choose to have two or four.seven thousand dollars is a lot of doe. untill honda does better I'll ride the H.O.

Old 02-04-2001, 07:31 AM
Range Rover

ya i know i dont spell so good.(doe)(dough)

Old 02-04-2001, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

I just sold my 450es honda. Besides from changing the oil I did nothing to my atv. Only had two years, but for what I saw very reliable machine.

See picture [red]http//y42.photos.yahoo.com/lancehelensamuel.[/red]

Old 02-04-2001, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

nauvooguy,
your dad must've missed lots of days at work.LOL.
75each way=150/day=750 a week x 50= 37 500/year x 20 years=cca 750 000 miles???????????????
This thread is about ATV reliability,I believe simple means reliable,maintenance is vital and a "lemon" product has no boundary.

Old 02-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

I figured it was Honda based on what I have heard on the street. Similar comments, they are reliable but won't step out of the box with any real innovation. That isn't necessarily bad.

Where does Kawasaki fit in and why is the Bayou and other Kaw models low in popularity? Talk about sticking to old principles, the Bayou has been the same ole' reliable product since 1986.

Old 02-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Honda 300 2x4 would be my vote as long as you don't work them too hard. They will do a LOT of work, but we have managed to overheat one & ruin the engine (burned the cam). Did the same thing to a Big Red. It WAS our fault for just doing more than it was designed to do with it. Now we use a liquid cooled machine (Xplorer400) for the hard work and had zero problems with it, and so our ('96 Fourtrax 300 2x4) Honda also has zero problems other than needing a new battery.
I think as a brand Honda has the best reliability reputation out there.

Old 02-04-2001, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

The way I see it is that simple=reliable. The more "gadgets" you have, the more that can go wrong. Honda is definately the most reliable quad but lacks the extras found on other quads.

About the Grand Cherokee...mine has tons of gadgets and only been to the shop once for an electrical problem.

Like someone else said: Maintenance=reliability too.

Old 02-05-2001, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

No doubt about it, its the old honda 4trax with the oil cooled 350 if you can find a good one its gold dust. there far better than the 300's in fact there over built but there a rough ride.I ride a 2000 scrambler 500 there is alot more to maintain but there totaly different animals and for me the scrambler is exactly what I need for my kicks Im a big honda fan but they dont make anything to compare with a scrambler.
If you just trail around and do a bit of work with the Atv then get a honda if you want megga off road fun getta scrambler.
Matt
2000sc500 pulled by Z71

Old 02-05-2001, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer

I don't think there is any doubt HONDA has the reputation as the most reliable quad made. But I don't agree with the notion that they don't improve or update their machines with new technologies just in the last few years they've added several new technologies "Electric shift", "Hydraulic transmission"(which will now be the bench mark for all other manufactures) "Transverse mounted engine and "Sure Track differential" just to mention a few. So to say they never update their machines with new technologies is
poppy ****!
I won't go as far as to say HONDA's are the best but as far as reliability I think their on top. There are some truths in my opinion as to HONDA's not being as fun at times as some other machines like not being able to shift from two to four wheel drive is a big one in my book. But it appears Kawasaki will be the benchmark for that in the future with the new 650 being able to switch from two wheel to four wheel and also chose limited slip or full four wheel drive. Well that's my .02 worth

Quick Reply: Most Reliable ATV, Which One?