Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark

Hello everyone, I am a new member to your forum and have had some time to read through the piles of posts and solutions available which are good reads.

I have a question that I hope has not been answered before and if it has, I apologize and would appreciate if someone out there would be able to send me in the right direction to find a possible solution.

My problem is that I was out deer hunting and my quad ran perfectly before I left and when I arrived it ran great as well. As we drove down the first trail to get oriented with the new area at about 5kms/hr, my thumb slipped off of the throttle when going over a bump and my engine died. Ten minutes into my deer hunt, I became a passenger and could not get my quad running again. Back at camp, I found that there was no spark going to the plug when I took it out. I read from previous posts that it could be the stator, coil, or cdi. I am just wondering if this is possible since it was running perfectly and just died.

There is plenty of cranking power when trying to start it but no spark.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default No Spark

Welcome to the post,see if there is play in the thumb throttle,1/8" no more,no less.the adjuster is on the cable four inches up the throttle cable,if its too tight it will limit spark,(safety feature).if its within specs,the bump might of loosened a wire.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default No Spark

I have had issues similar with my dirtbike before with the spark plug wire. I had no spark with the plug in the boot. I unscrewed the plug wire from the boot to check the connection. (mine were the sort that screw in) and I noticed the wires in the plug wires were degraded considerably. I cut the actual plug wire back by 3/8 of an inch and screwed the boot back on and it worked like a champ.

Probably not the case with your machine but it can't hurt to check.. it might be an easy fix.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Spark

Thanks for the tips, I will check on both of those as it will give me something else to do than banging my head on my garage workbench trying to figure it out.

Are there any fuses that a guy could check as well?? I really have not come across any in my travels unless they are in the head assembly on top of the handlebars.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Spark

Hello ... with the direction you gave with regards to the throttle cable, I opened the box where the throttle cable goes into on the handlebars for the thumb control. Looking in there, there are two wires that are partially seperated by a spring and the throttle cable tension. Is there supposed to be a gap between the connection or should the two ends make contact with no pressure on the thumb control? Putting tension on the thumb control will separate the connection point of the two wires. Does this make any sense to you the way I described it??

Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default No Spark

there should be a gap if they are near touching or touching no spark. 1/8" gap in thumb throttle.......................................... .

Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Spark

Ok, there was a gap as you indicated between the two wires when looking in the compartment. I know it is a long shot but any idea where I could look to find a loose wire that may affect the spark to the plug directly? I have taken out the battery and am charging it and also have cleaned up any sort of terminal I can see checking for a loose wire or dirty connection but have not come across any.