Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

For all you 850 XP guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all you 850 XP guys

Make sure that you let the motor run for a couple of minutes upon start-up. They have a run rich program. You will foul the plugs if you crank and kill it.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Make sure that you let the motor run for a couple of minutes upon start-up.</end quote></div>

Would that not just be a good idea to do just to get the oil warmed up and thined out before riding? Carb or EFI and for any machine made that runs on gas.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Make sure that you let the motor run for a couple of minutes upon start-up.</end quote></div>

Would that not just be a good idea to do just to get the oil warmed up and thined out before riding? Carb or EFI and for any machine made that runs on gas.</end quote></div>

Yes, that is always a good idea anyway but on a regular EFI you won't foul a plug if you don't do it. Say for example that the bike is in your yard and you crank it and put it on the trailer. You could foul a plug doing this. Or if you crank it to let a buddy here the awesome exhaust sound the new 850 has and you crank and mash on the gas. Fouled plug. Just giving a heads.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: teamsos

Make sure that you let the motor run for a couple of minutes upon start-up. They have a run rich program. You will foul the plugs if you crank and kill it.</end quote></div>

I always warm up the atv/truck, etc. before use.
What about a higher quality plug? Any idea when we will be able to get NGK's?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Nothing yet from Polaris. That was my first thought but I'm no mechanic.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

Right,Robert is saying if you start it,let it warm up a little,don't start and then soon after shut it down.
I have heard about this "problem" with the 850,But starting and shutting down multiple times without warm up isn't good for any engine.
I think the 850 may be a little more prone fouling because of a combo of rich warm up programming and those goofy Champion plugs.

Robert,what have you seen this cause? I mean fouled plugs can cause different symptoms based on how fouled they are,how they became fouled ect. What are the machines doing when they foul the plugs from startup/shutdown?
Not running? Backfiring? Sputtering? ect..

Thanks

Edit-dang I type slow,2 posts since I started typing this one. lol

Old 11-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

Don't know what their fix has been other than replacing plugs. NOT a mechanic by any means. They have this same program on the Victory bikes. As long as you know it has a run rich program it shouldn't be a problem. The 550 does NOT have this.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

Did'nt know these new xp's were 2 strokes.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Did'nt know these new xp's were 2 strokes.</end quote></div>

Huh? lol You're being funny aren't ya.
I'm sure you know this,but for those that don't..
There is fuel fouled and oil fouled...don't have to have oil to foul a plug. 4 strokes can get oil fouled ..when the rings are shot,or fuel fouled. All fouling is,is when something,deposits ect. affects the plugs abliity to produce a clean strong spark between the electrode and strap. It might cause no spark,a weak spark,or a spark that jmps somewhere other that to the strap. Sometimes the high resistance can wreak havoc on the ignition system,causing various symptoms. Any thing from failure to start,to low power to backfiring ect.
If you start it up and shut down before the plug is up to temp it will not burn off the carbon. That is another reason plugs have a heat range,it has to run hot enough to burn off deposits but not so hot that is causes detonation. Carbon builds up and fouls the plug if it isn't allowed to get up to temp mulitple times. This is made worse by a rich mixture.
A hotter plug might be less prone to this but could cause detonation. A colder plug would likely be even worse.
You have to be careful changing heat ranges unless you really know what you are doing.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Did'nt know these new xp's were 2 strokes.</end quote></div>

Huh? lol You're being funny aren't ya.

I'm sure you know this,but for those that don't..

There is fuel fouled and oil fouled...don't have to have oil to foul a plug. 4 strokes can get oil fouled ..when the rings are shot,or fuel fouled. All fouling is,is when something,deposits ect. affects the plugs abliity to produce a clean strong spark between the electrode and strap. It might cause no spark,a weak spark,or a spark that jmps somewhere other that to the strap.

If you start it up and shut down before the plug is up to temp it will not burn off the carbon. That is another reason plugs have a heat range,it has to run hot enough to burn off deposits but not so hot that is causes detonation. Carbon builds up and fouls the plug if it isn't allowed to get up to temp mulitple times. This is made worse by a rich mixture.

A hotter plug might be less prone to this but could cause detonation. A colder plug would likely be even worse.

You have to be careful changing heat ranges unless you really know what you are doing.</end quote></div>

Well put.

Quick Reply: For all you 850 XP guys