Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:25 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report

Wide tires would work as well as wide tracks if they had the same floatation area on the snow. The tracks stay on top while the tires usually sink to frame depth and have to push the snow out of the way.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

The simplest explanation....................It really depends on the snow itself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mag150

I've decided to go with Bighorns but what wheels are available in 14" that will hold up to rocks. The stock steel wheels on my 07 bend and get bent back but I'm worried about the stock wheels on the XP holding up.</end quote></div>

If you go with any of the ITP "SS" wheels, they are guaranteed for life against breakage (or bending). Right now, I've got me heart set on the SS108's in black with the Bighorn 2.0 radials.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mag150

I've decided to go with Bighorns but what wheels are available in 14" that will hold up to rocks. The stock steel wheels on my 07 bend and get bent back but I'm worried about the stock wheels on the XP holding up.</end quote></div>

If you go with any of the ITP "SS" wheels, they are guaranteed for life against breakage (or bending). Right now, I've got me heart set on the SS108's in black with the Bighorn 2.0 radials.</end quote></div>

Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

i really havent had time to test the tire but last weekend i did take the kids out sledding with it and it seemed to be "ok". i did notice 4x4 kicked in alot and the tires spun all the time. just like everyone else im saving for new shoes asap. imo these tire suck big time

Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wlvrn

just like everyone else im saving for new shoes asap. imo these tire suck big time</end quote></div>

Well said (I suppose...since I have no direct experience with them)! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I guess the hard part is finding a good tire that will fit the 14" wheels. Plus...keeping them the same 26" size...

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biz4two

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wlvrn

just like everyone else im saving for new shoes asap. imo these tire suck big time</end quote></div>

Well said (I suppose...since I have no direct experience with them)! [img][/img]

I guess the hard part is finding a good tire that will fit the 14" wheels. Plus...keeping them the same 26" size...

biz

[img][/img]</end quote></div>
Hi most of the aftermarket tires in 14 inch i found were 27 inch or bigger.
And the list of possabilityies is slym at both sizes.
I went with the SwampLites as they were the most frugal in price(cheapest) and fit the stock sock's.
I wanted new socks too but the offset on the front rims of the old style is not for me, i dont want the front that wide and i need my bike to fit on my snowbear trailer.
I sent an email to ITP to find out when there going to make rims for the XP's,maybe next year!have not heard back yet.

Boy your going to love your new XP !50 when you get it

Old 12-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lobodog3

Hi most of the aftermarket tires in 14 inch i found were 27 inch or bigger.

And the list of possabilityies is slym at both sizes.

I went with the SwampLites as they were the most frugal in price(cheapest) and fit the stock sock's.

I wanted new socks too but the offset on the front rims of the old style is not for me, i dont want the front that wide and i need my bike to fit on my snowbear trailer.

I sent an email to ITP to find out when there going to make rims for the XP's,maybe next year!have not heard back yet.

Boy your going to love your new XP !50 when you get it</end quote></div>

WOW...those are some NICE and seriously aggressive tires. Found a video...and those lugs are huge! See Video

Yeah...might take some extra time for the market to catch up with the new 14" wheel that Polaris put out.

I am so looking forward to my NEW ATV!

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2008, 01:39 PM
DCT
Banned

A quick note here. A member on another site gave me a tip to use extremely low air pressure in the tires to get around better in the snow. On a recent trail ride in some snow, I dropped the pressure from 4.5 to 2.5, and even my stock 489's performed much better. That member recommended going as low as 1 lb of air for maximum traction. I didn't want to go lower than 2.5 on a trail ride to make sure I didn't have any bead issues. However, when I have to deal with some serious plowing in deep snow at home, I'm going to drop the pressure from 2.5 lb and see how it works.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Lowering air pressure can have a dramatic effect of improving traction in certain situations,especially where "flotation" is needed,such as fine deep sand and probably snow(I have minimal snow experience). The tire "bags" giving it a larger surface area,and it conforms more easily to the surface and stays on top of it instead of digging. I would only go very low on a need to basis,such as you are about to get stuck. Better to drop the pressure than to walk and it is a good idea to drop the pressure before you dig down obviuosly. Like you said though,you don't want to be riding all the time with 1psi..that would likely be asking for trouble.
This works with any vehicle really,obviously the higher the normal tire pressure the higher you want to keep you minimum pressure. BTW,if it is 2wd obviously only air down the drive tires.
I have taken 2wd trucks in very sandy places they would never go with the tires aired up to spec,just by dropping the tire pressure to 12-15 psi. I suspect it would work in snow as well?
Again,if you drive in stuff that requires you to constantly lower the tire pressure extremely low the best thing is to get appropriate tires,but for occasionally bailing yourself out of a bad spot it works great.

For you guys with snow experience. Does driving in snow take a technique? I suspect it does. I know driving in deep sand takes technique and doing it right can make all the difference in the world. Once in deep sand trying to use power, acceleration or wheel speed will get you into trouble faster than anything. You can idle through alot of stuff that as soon as you try to give it throttle it will stop going forward and start going down,lol.

Quick Reply: '09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report