Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 XP Performance upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 XP Performance upgrades???

where can i find go fast parts for this thing!!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

The only performance upgrade out so far that I know of is slip on exhaust by HMF.
A controller should be out any day supposedly. Apparently HMF claims the 850 will run lean with the slip on exhaust and therefore requires a controller/optimizer/tuner...what ever term you want to use. A device to alter the fueling in other words. And there are rumors of a full performance package by Rath Racing. It's going to take some time.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

ok.. well i've seen the slip on as well but not any type of tuner...

saw some on ebay that looked really cheesy/cheap that i would never trust to be on mine. hmf is coming out with the tuner or hfm? i assume that's a typo

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

No,it is HMF. I just mistyped it the second time.
They don't actually make the tuner,but they do sell them under their name.
Rumor is that they are waiting on the tuners from their supplier and then they have to program them for the exhuaust.
About 3 weeks ago they told my dealer 2 weeks. Not sure what's up now.

I know one guy who is supposed to dyno his with the slip on but without the tuner to see if it really runs lean,popos in the past have tended to run rich stock. Haven't heard his results though.
Who knows maybe the Xp is different because I've checked my plugs and with the airbox hood removed nad a K&N element and it looks perfect,definitely not rich. I never checked them stock,removing the hood should have leaned it some due to the higher airflow. Sio it may be a little rich stock. You could try it,but I doubt it would do much with the stock filer in place though,as the filter would then be the restiction most likely. I felt a seat of the pants difference in power and more so in crispness of throttle response. Took away that little shutter that you sometimes get when you get aggressive with the throtlte down low. I posted pics of the hood and how to remove it in a thread here. It is a rubber piece that sits on top of the airbox and the opening faces the rear,I don't see how it couldn't be a restriction as the opening if fairly small and causes the air to make a 90* bend into the airbox.
Being a car guy I'm sure you know to read the plugs afterward to make sure it isn't too lean.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

right... i know how to do all that. this hood your talking about is up by the gas filler neck right?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

It is on top of the airbox,right under the plastic where the filler used to be on the old style. If you pull the seat and look in between the plastic and the airbox with the flashlight you'll see it. It is rubber and you can pop it out from inside the airbox,IIRC I then rotated it and pulled it down into the airbox to get it out.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

i'll have to check it out when i get home... i like to play in alot of water so i doubt i'll remove it.. but still wanna see for myself.. how about snorkle kits for these new xp's? arent they water tight to the seat? even the clutch and belt? sorry just real new to all the polaris stuff. buddy in town has a razr and put snorkle on it... but said it doesnt run right anymore since the snorkle.. why would that be? difference in where the air is coming from and how much air is getting to the airbox now?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

The clutch housing snorkels are right under the front of the seat, a littl lower than the old sportsman. Older popos have had issue with the housing warping a little and leaking,and needing to be sealed,yet to be seen if that is a problem on the XP.
The hood opening faces rear,and is a little higher than the old sportsman's so it will help keep water from splasing into the airbox. If you ride in water alot I would definitely leave it. I think that maybe they designed it that way so the clutch would get swamped before the intake. Also apparently there is no low point drain on the intake tube. Wouldn't be hard to add one though. But stock if you get water in the tube you have to disconnect it to drain the water.
As for a machine not running right after snorkleing it's hard to say without looking at it......could be restricting airflow. Designed properly it shouldnt be a problem.
But I'm no snorkel expert.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

what about clutch kits? or am i not going to find anything like this yet due to the xp not being out very long? wonder how long it will take the aftermarket to catch up?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

It will probably take 6 months or so for the aftermarket to catch up.
Not sure if anyone has tested any clutch kits..

Quick Reply: 850 XP Performance upgrades???