Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gotta Love Polaris AWD

Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Love Polaris AWD

My son has been considering upgrading from his 400 Arctic Cat since I got my new Sportsman. One of the quads he was considering getting was an Outty (650 or 800). After watching this video, he ruled the Outty off his short list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEW9tcJaLE

Not bad mouthing the Outty in anyway, or saying that the video proves anything... just saying that my son ruled out the Outty based on what he saw with the Visco-Lok... and is more and more coming over to a new Polaris. LOL

Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen that vid several times and it still amazes me. Visco-Lok will engange and give you 4 wheel drive EVENTUALLY. Sometime after your 4x3 gets you stuck, I guess.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The Polaris sytem is a very nice setup esspesialy for a no nonsense 4x4 system that works as good as any if not better than any auto locker system out there. This makes for a very easy to ride (Cadillac) atv! In about 90% of the situations you come into this system works great but when push comes to shove I prefer the 4x4 system found in my Grizz better as you are truly locked when I want it to be and don't have to relly on the machine to engauge it for you.

With that said no machine is going to leave you stranded or in a situation where it won't make it through a bad situation you just need to find the system that works for your needs!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Let me guess without watching..the small wall on what appears to be the beach?
Great vid.

Dodge...I've tested the Polaris/Hilliard system pretty well,and it is as good or better than any system out there,ATV or otherwise. AWD means AWD,and in my eperience the Polaris front diff locks the front tires as well as a Detroit locker...when it is engaged you can not detect any slippage between the 2 front tires...
Personally I can't think of a siituation when I would prefer the Grizz's push button lock. An open front diff in 4wd does little good IMO..that is 3 wheel drive at best(with the power going to the wheel wiht the least traction,so maybe 2.5 wheel drive really) If I need to steer in tight quaters it is 99% in 2wd. Personally when I select 4wd I want ALL 4 tires to pull. JMO..that's why I always buy Polaris and you own a Grizz I guess. It might be cool to put it in 4wd and get stuck and then lock it and pull out,other than that I don't see the use. Can you explain?
Each to their own right?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
DCT
Banned

LOL... my son still see's it the way DODGE57HEMI see's it, but is starting to see it HIGHOCTANE's way.

Again, don't get me wrong, I think the Outty is a very high quality build, and from what I've heard, the only quad that comes close to the Polaris in ride quality... that's why we were looking, but that Visco-Lok kills the deal for our riding style.

Both my son and I also really like the Grizz and the KQ (especially with the power steering on both). Right now, I think he is leaning towards the KQ, as he had such great luck in the past with his old KQ. Even another AC is still in the running... a lot of great quads to choose from.

However, if I can get him to ride an new XP... I think he might have a change of heart. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Let me guess without watching..the small wall on what appears to be the beach?

Great vid.

Dodge...I've tested the Polaris/Hilliard system pretty well,and it is as good or better than any system out there,ATV or otherwise. AWD means AWD,and in my eperience the Polaris front diff locks the front tires as well as a Detroit locker...when it is engaged you can not detect any slippage between the 2 front tires...

Personally I can't think of a siituation when I would prefer the Grizz's push button lock. An open front diff in 4wd does little good IMO..that is 3 wheel drive at best(with the power going to the wheel wiht the least traction,so maybe 2.5 wheel drive really) If I need to steer in tight quaters it is 99% in 2wd. Personally when I select 4wd I want ALL 4 tires to pull. JMO..that's why I always buy Polaris and you own a Grizz I guess. It might be cool to put it in 4wd and get stuck and then lock it and pull out,other than that I don't see the use. Can you explain?

Each to their own right?</end quote></div>

Well I guess that is the Differance between you and I but for where I ride and how I ride I will take the Yamaha system over my Polaris system any day. With the power sterring I can ride locked all day if I prefer but dont as you coud poss damage something if you do! One thing that the thgrizz does do better than the Sportsman and that is not a opinion but fact is it does turn much shorter and in tight wood riding is a very nice feature.

I dont know why HIGHOCTANE you hate Yamaha or ME so much, just cause I have a diff opinion than your does not make mine any less or more right than yours!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
DCT
Banned

Hope our own sheepdogMSP8117 doesn't mind if I stick his video in here too... good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...e7Y0WE&feature=related

Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea, I actually like the other link that demonstrates its superior abilities over CAN AM Outty.

Youtube Ref

R'

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Hope our own sheepdogMSP8117 doesn't mind if I stick his video in here too... good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...e7Y0WE&feature=related</end quote></div>

Wow that is not good that could cause some major riding issues! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

After watching that vid IMO shows the difference in tires more than the difference in 4WD. All 4 wheels on the Canned-Ham were spinning even tho the quad wasn't climbing the wall. That seems to be a traction issue both on the rock wall as well as in the sand.
For the record - I have a brand new Popo 850 XP - after getting rid of my '05 SP700 - and a '07 Griz 700. I love my XP. My wife was extremely excited about inheriting my Griz after I sold the SP700 in anticipation of buying the XP - UNTIL she rode the XP. I guess we'll be getting another XP in about a year.
Anyways, I can't say enough about the XP - BUT, I like having the option of 3WD vs 4WD. I rarely need all 4 wheels driving. I experience the 4WD on the Popo pushing straight ahead more often than I need to hit the diff locker on the Griz. I had the same experience on my SP700. Overall - I love my XP - you will have to rip the handlebars from my cold dead fingers to get her away from me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gotta Love Polaris AWD