Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MY Trailblazer just died

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY Trailblazer just died

Harley, your response was great....what should i be seeing on my compression gauge?

I know nothing about these things and any info is more than what i have.

Plumbob, Thank you for the replies... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I read in a search that its supposed to be over 115?

Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

At LEAST 100, should be more like 120 though.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

last but not least....What do i mix the gas at?

I went out to the shop today to try my luck and it fired right up...there is no smoke at all coming out of this bike i even held a drop light behind it thinking maybe it was too dark and theres nothing there

Old 12-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

Start at 40:1 and adjust according to plug readings.Still need to do a compression check first though.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Trailblazer

Compression check will need to be done, AutoZone $30-35 compression gauge. If your running 107 VP on a stock 8:1 motor then your fouling plugs very quickly and wasting $$$. You need to gauge it and let us know how much it has, 115 is the min to run 87-89 oct. Next your running a synthetic/blended oil. Belray is known to not smoke alot, the idle on the oil injection is 100:1 and is fed by a pump. Best advise there is to go premix only and ditch the injection. Also check the counterbalance dipstick located underneath the carb. Make sure it has a good clean coat of oil (10w-30) on it. We will need more information from you other then Im running an extremely high octane and it just died. My first thought is ignition related (ie plug gapping), or extremely low compression.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil injection system on these is nearly flawlless.To check drain your gas tank and add a gal of 40:1 premix,unhook the line from you pump(best at the intake or carb) run it while watching for oil out the hose.Also check the pump cable for frayed end coming out of the cable.Take the pump cover off and clean everything real good if this is a 400,250s are on the rear of the motor(this needs to be done regularly)Set the pump by lining up the marks and where the arm move as you barely move the throttle lever.
Check the comp on the motor .Yess you can burn pistons with too hot of gas.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

Checked the compression tonight and using the electric start it went to 150 lbs after 5-6 revolutions with the throttle closed and about 135 with it open.
Engine was at ambient temperature of around 30 degrees. Mac tools gauge if it matters to anyone....

the plug looked ok...a dark/medium brown with a lighter shade around the electrode. i put the plug in new when i bought it.

468bbc.....Chevy man??

Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you check the gas tank vent tube?It could be pinched or stopped up causing this too.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

i have not...when i got it, there was a clear hose from the top of the tank hanging loose. On the side of the carb, there was a small t fitting with the same clear hose hooked to the other ends and one end open...i connected it there assuming that is where it went, i will check the line tonight for kinks.

Is my compression reading in the norm?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Your compression is fine. The only thing that makes me wonder is how it could be 150 with the throttle closed, and 135 with it opened. That seems backwards to me. It made me think a reed was cracked or broken or something.

Quick Reply: MY Trailblazer just died