Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thing they will ever put a turbo in ATVs as well?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thing they will ever put a turbo in ATVs as well?

I notice Polaris and the others are puting Turbos chargers in the 4 stroke powered sleds. You thing it would be a good idea in a ATV?

140 HP 750 Polaris sled.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Thing they will ever put a turbo in ATV as well?

I'd love to have an ATV with a turbo...not sure it would be practical in a utility machine....maybe on a sport machine..generally you need to spin a motor up to make boost with a turbo. Not to mention it would add alot of cost,not only the price of the turbo system but the engine would need upgraded forged parts to handle the boost. Then there is the driveline upgrades that would be needed to handle the added power....
Now if they could figure out a way to utilize a small positive dispacement(twin screw) supercharger that would be SWEET. Instant boost and insane TQ...perfect for a utility machine. Imagine having 90% of your TQ available below 3,000 RPM!

Again though it would add alot of cost and be even harder on the driveline than a turbo.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Range Rover

I'd like to see them bring the diesels back with a turbo. Talk about a beast!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

I never liked 4 stroke sleds they don't compare to the 2 smokers in speed and acceleration,turbo in an atv hell yea I'd buy it.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I think they will in the near future offer turbo'ed atvs. My turbo'ed 800 is a blast to ride and the boost is almost instant with the turbo I'm using. Give them a few more years and I think it will be an option.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SPORTSMAN70003

I think they will in the near future offer turbo'ed atvs. My turbo'ed 800 is a blast to ride and the boost is almost instant with the turbo I'm using. Give them a few more years and I think it will be an option.</end quote></div>

I bet it is a blast! I'd love to turbo my XP...my wife would lose it ,lol. I went through a very expensive phase of building turbo and supercharged street strip cars...I had almost $20,000 just in the custom twin turbo kit for the last car. If I said the word turbo she'd freak,lol...
How much boost are you running and where does the boost peak at RPM wise? I see N20 in your sig...are using it to help spool the turbo?
I agree,If you design the system right and use the right turbo it will make boost pretty quick....
A small set of twins can generally spool even quicker...not sure they make turbos that small though?.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:56 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Opps double post.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The price does not seem to be bad. The 700 2 stroke sled is only $600 less than the 750 Turbo 4 stroke model.

700 vs 750 turbo price.

I agree about 2 stroke sleds,The new 4 stroke sled need tricks like a turbo and a large displacement increase to perform like the 2 strokes do.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SPORTSMAN70003

I think they will in the near future offer turbo'ed atvs. My turbo'ed 800 is a blast to ride and the boost is almost instant with the turbo I'm using. Give them a few more years and I think it will be an option.</end quote></div>

I bet it is a blast! I'd love to turbo my XP...my wife would lose it ,lol. I went through a very expensive phase of building turbo and supercharged street strip cars...I had almost $20,000 just in the custom twin turbo kit for the last car. If I said the word turbo she'd freak,lol...

How much boost are you running and where does the boost peak at RPM wise? I see N20 in your sig...are using it to help spool the turbo?

I agree,If you design the system right and use the right turbo it will make boost pretty quick....

A small set of twins can generally spool even quicker...not sure they make turbos that small though?.</end quote></div>

I've never used the nitrous with the turbo. I had the nitrous on it before I put the turbo on and never took it off. I'm running 10psi of boost and it gets to peak boost very quick. At half throttle I'm usually running around 5psi of boost. I have a high stall spring in the primary clutch and I can stall it up to 2800rpms on the starting line and be building 2psi of boost on take off. I had a very small IHI turbo on it but that turbo didn't last long so I went with a GT15 and it makes alot more power and boost still comes in very quick.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds fun!
The quality of the turbo can make alot of difference. There are other tricks as well to help spool,as I'm sure you know,ball bearing turbos,cam profiles,2 step, ect..
Some people use the N20 on a window switch to 1)make power off the line and 2)help spool the turbo with the icreased exhaust gases. The tricks are most important on manual transmissions where it is alot harder to build boost out of the hole.
Sounds like your is set up pretty good though.