ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   850/550 EPS steering "clunk"? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/304204-850-550-eps-steering-clunk.html)

ManAtArms 01-02-2009 11:41 AM

850/550 EPS steering "clunk"?

OK, so the new 850 is still being broken in, but I noticed this strange steering issue yesterday. If the bike is idling and in park and you quickly move the handlebars back and forth about 1" in each direction, I feel this slight "clunk" almost like there's "play" steering rack. I wonder if this is the power steering unit "kicking in" after it detects a movement at the input shaft. I can't feel this while the ATV is moving, just sitting still.

Anyway, this is annoying...there shouldn't be any play in the steering as far as I'm concerned...there isn't on non-EPS unit. I wonder if there's slop in the EPS unit? Has anyone else noticed this?

-Mark

LE850XP 01-02-2009 12:17 PM

850/550 EPS steering "clunk

Do you notice this when you are moving? Have not noticed this on mine.

I do not use the Park unless I stop on a hill and plan on getting off. The XP will start in gear with the break pulled in.

My Dad use to get on me for playing with the steering wheel while the car was sitting still. He said it would mess up the power steering pump. Guess I broke that habit.

ManAtArms 01-02-2009 12:20 PM

I think you can do it is gear as well, just let the quad sit there and wiggle the bars back and forth. I'll check again when I get home.

-Mark

LE850XP 01-02-2009 12:30 PM

It's raining here and about 38 degrees I might get a chance to check mine. It could be a limit switch that truns the power on after it is moved from center. Just moving 1" is not much movement.

stendori 01-02-2009 01:18 PM

ou should be able to tell if it had slop or not just by moving the wheel and see if the tires repond to the same amount of movement. try it w/ the bike turned off to see if you still feel it and check for the sloppyness as well. imo.

ManAtArms 01-02-2009 03:00 PM

stendori,

I tried what you suggested. For every slight movement of the bars I see a corresponding movement of the steering input shaft that enters the top of the EPS unit. However, on very slight movement, there will be no corresponding movement on the output shaft of the EPS....so there is a slight amount of play in there.

-Mark

stendori 01-02-2009 03:14 PM

i woul guess there is a small amount of play in the eps unit it self(most likely build in like all the other loose polaris parts) and if there is no major play w/ it off then that has to be where the clunk is coming from. i would talk to a dealer and ask them if this is normal or check out another one like yours to see. worse case, make the dealer aware of it and make him give you a note of something stating he knows about it so if later on something hapens your covered. just my .02

DCT 01-02-2009 04:17 PM

850/550 EPS steering

I would see if there is slack or a clunking sound when you are driving the quad very slowly.

sportsman rocks 01-02-2009 07:59 PM

850/550 EPS steering

ManAtArms, I test drove a 550 EPS on Wednesday and noticed the same thing you're talking about. Could not feel our here the clunk when driving the quad but with the quad park engine off but key on was very noticeable play and clunky. Tern the key off and the play and clunky sound was gone. Keep us up to date on this subject.

rancher55 01-02-2009 08:54 PM

850/550 EPS steering

I don't know but could it be that a sylinoid or an elec. switch is detecting the movment and responding to it by turning the elec, power steering unit on or actuating it? That way it wouldn't be under power constantly, only when movment is detected.
Just my guess![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]