plow springs not working well

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plow springs not working well

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dslanec

I have had similar problems with my glacier II plow. I just got a set of new springs today. They were on back order for 2 months! Well now I know why. My new springs are twice the size of the old ones. Maybe polaris is finally going to beef up their plow system. I have a gravel drive way also and the old springs were way to weak. I tried the new ones today and they are great. My advice would be to find a heavier spring set at your local hardware maybe. If the springs are to weak they will just be trashed in a days plowing imo.</end quote></div>

Yep, the spring on my Glacier II are shot after a couple times plowing. They were pretty flimsy springs... as is the mount... and the hardware. This plow setup is for a nice 25 ft paved driveway... not a 275 "man-sized" driveway with dirt and rocks like mine.

Lesson learned.... next time I buy I will make sure I'm not getting cheap Chinese junk. As a matter of fact, it will probably be a good old make in the USA Eagle Plow system.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Yep, the spring on my Glacier II are shot after a couple times plowing. They were pretty flimsy springs... as is the mount... and the hardware. This plow setup is for a nice 25 ft paved driveway... not a 275 "man-sized" driveway with dirt and rocks like mine.

Lesson learned.... next time I buy I will make sure I'm not getting cheap Chinese junk. As a matter of fact, it will probably be a good old make in the USA Eagle Plow system.</end quote></div>

Yup I am lucky, my plow is the older STEEL plow, I think the push tubes are steel also. I wasn't crazy about the plow mount U bolts that came with the mount but so far so good.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: skinnykid

ya it was fun. I have ran plenty of blowers and shovels. I will take the atv anyday.

Now for the search for quality heated handgrips!!!!</end quote></div>

I got your answer...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...true&_requestid=28442

John

Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>...and ran a snowblower for the first time. I will stick with the atv any day but guess it beats a shovel.</end quote></div> We had a small snowfall of a couple inches that turned to rain and freezing rain. Slush. I bought a Toro 1128 with the joystick that controls the chute's direction and how far it throws the white stuff. Until this snowblower I never had one that could handle slush. At least I didn't have to shovel. Saving my Cabela's bucks for next year (if I live that long [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) to get the Warn plow for the X2.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

hi all. im new to the site. thought id add my 2 cents. i built my own plow just becuse i had the tools and time to. iv built 3 plows. and 2 failed. first one was pretty shitty. second was better. but i hit a hiddin concrete slab. it bent the wear bar and frame. of the plow it slef. took me about an hr with a torch to get it back to normal. but then in the summer of 08' i re did the whole plow cept the push tube. i had gotten 2 black springs off ebay. it seemed they work pretty good. but then i was plowing this guys drive. was almost done. when i decided to clean some of the piles on the end of the drive when i hit what must have been a frozen rock. WOW! bam. i hit it. the plow spring didnt trip. so the plow whent sideways. and i stoped to look to see if anything broke. but nothing broke. it did however bend the whole plow and push tube over about an 1". also left a big gouge in the wear bar. that was the first and last time i wanted that to happen. so i whent to fleetfarm and gotten lighter springs. these are alot better. kinda weak. but ill worry bought it this spring. least i dont have to worry about kissing the snow or the nose cone. heres apick of it. if anyone needs some good heavy duty springs let me know iv got a used set shown it pic. there to stif for me.
Name:  DSC00459.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  259.0 KB

Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
DCT
Banned

I have had similar problems with my glacier II plow. I just got a set of new springs today. They were on back order for 2 months! Well now I know why. My new springs are twice the size of the old ones. Maybe polaris is finally going to beef up their plow system. I have a gravel drive way also and the old springs were way to weak. I tried the new ones today and they are great. My advice would be to find a heavier spring set at your local hardware maybe. If the springs are to weak they will just be trashed in a days plowing imo.</end quote></div>

dslanec,

Do you happen to have the bag for the springs with the part number? I stopped yesterday and picked up new springs to at least get me through this weekends snow. The springs I picked up looked to be the same OD (1 inch) as the ones I have... but at least they are not sprung to 10 1/2" long like the old ones (new ones are 8" long).

Anyhow, the dealer said Polaris has a new part number for the springs... maybe it's what you have?

I told him to order me a set just in case.

If you don't have the part number, can you tell me the OD of the springs?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Dave,
No i do not have the part number i threw the bag away. But i measured the new springs and they are 1.5 inches diameter. my old ones are also 1 ". Im sure the ones they ordered are the new bigger ones. They are SO much better!