Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Problems

Well i was plowing my drive way the other day. I went down to the end of the drive in AWD, at the end i put it back in 2wd so i could spin around. Half way through the spin the frount end lock in and made a loud pop. I stopped and checked it out. The switch was still in 2wd but it was locked in AWD. I backed the atv up and got it to come out. i put it back in and started plowing again. Up at the house i stopped and put it reverse. Backing up while holding the override button in i have to 4x4. it works fine going forward but not backing up. What do you think happend? Was going to take the front end apart, but i thought i would ask to see if this has happend to anyone else. Thanks

Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default AWD Problems

Ya broke the plastic hilliard cage 208$ cant do 2wheel spinners w/ polaris the awd can engage even with out the switch (read manual) John Deere sell the cage for under 100$ from a gator see my thread I started tonite

Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default AWD Problems

Well thanks man. That sucks because i have never had that problem b4. But i also change the fluid in that once a year. I didnt have the time this year with the new job and baby boy. Im going to take it out and try to get the cage from JD. Will they know what im talking about or do i have to get the john deere part #? I will check out your thread to see if you posted it there. Thanks again!!

PS. It sucks big **** not to have 4x4 reverse in the snow............

Old 01-30-2009, 01:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default AWD Problems

There is a stronger aftermarket billet aluminum alloy cage available also.http://www.ocperformancemotors...front-roller-cage.html

Old 01-30-2009, 04:56 AM
DCT
Banned
Default AWD Problems

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: itstillruns

Ya broke the plastic hilliard cage 208$ cant do 2wheel spinners w/ polaris the awd can engage even with out the switch (read manual) John Deere sell the cage for under 100$ from a gator see my thread I started tonite</end quote></div>

I see in your other thread that the cage you replaced isn't working exactly as it should. Do you still think it's a wise decision to go with the JD cage?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWD Problems

Has anyone tried this billet cage? Comes with a hefty price tag, but if it won't break like the plastic one it may be a winner. I bookmarked the page and will do a search later to see if I can find it any cheaper. I believe I busted the cage in the 500 a while back. I was spinning through some mud and caught traction on a rock and felt a pop, since then it has felt different but I still have awd when activated. Planning on pulling it apart when the weather breaks and checking it out.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default AWD Problems

Im going to check out that billet cage. It would suck if i got the jd and had problems with it. I bought this 800 new and i have done spin arounds like this all of the time and never once had it lock in on me. Im thinking fluid problems, old or low. going to take it off tonight if i get time. I will post what i find! Thanks for the info TLC!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default AWD Problems

With all this plastic cages breaking you would think Polaris would do something about it, build one stronger or even go back to the two locking hub system at least.

Its a bad sign when a Aftermarket company has to correct Polaris's problem before they do.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
DCT
Banned
Default AWD Problems

My concern about the Billet cage would be that it is "too" strong for the job, and that it might cause more serious damage to the diff/gears. The plastic cage might be the weak link for a reason.

Guess we need to get some feedback from users.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
Default AWD Problems

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

My concern about the Billet cage would be that it is "too" strong for the job, and that it might cause more serious damage to the diff/gears. The plastic cage might be the weak link for a reason.

Guess we need to get some feedback from users.</end quote></div>

That is for sure,if the metal Billet does go,its taking more parts with it,than if a plastic one goes.

The hope is the metal one just cures the problem once and for all.

Good point.

Quick Reply: AWD Problems