Why I should have full skid plates on the 850...lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I should have full skid plates on the 850...lol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Roofer

Nice fix! It looks pretty good!

I think the tires are the culprit. Not sure if you mentioned that already. MST's are very similar to the XTR's, and when I had them, they caught and threw up the branches very easily. Had quite a few times on my brute when I expected to look down and see something similar. I must have been lucky and they weren't harpooned at me. [img][/img] It makes one heck of a loud noise when they hit that plastic!!</end quote></div>

No I hadn't mention it yet..but you are correct..apparently the XTRs grabbed the branch like a conveyor belt and drove it through the plastic.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

A little metal down there probably would have deflected it enough to prevent the damage. It looks like the end of the stick caught on the footwell frame and then came on up through the smaller hole in the front. even a little more protection under there would have helped!
Another first! LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

C'mon Polaris!! My old Scrambler which was built WAY before the XP has full metal skids!Sounds like a designer at Polaris was being a slacker the day the skids were designed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That could have been alot worse... We were riding last fall up in NH and came across a guy and his wife on another Sportsman X2. He told us that he has seen a moose and was still looking at the moose as he kept driving. He had a log go right up between the engine and plastic and it hit his throttle cable. He couldn't keep it running because he stretched the cable so much. I towed him over 2 miles through mud, branches, over rocks and berms, back to his truck. A good way to remove something that goes through is to push it through in the direction it was going. This rule applies to fishhooks in ear lobes, arrow buried to the feathers, but not to a skin deep puncture in the abdominal cavity...

Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MooseHenden

That could have been alot worse... We were riding last fall up in NH and came across a guy and his wife on another Sportsman X2. He told us that he has seen a moose and was still looking at the moose as he kept driving. He had a log go right up between the engine and plastic and it hit his throttle cable. He couldn't keep it running because he stretched the cable so much. I towed him over 2 miles through mud, branches, over rocks and berms, back to his truck. A good way to remove something that goes through is to push it through in the direction it was goind. This rule applies to fishhooks in ear lobes, arrow buried to the feathers, but not to a skin dip puncture in the abdominal cavity...</end quote></div>

Lol..yeah..it could have been ALOT worse...
That is exaclty how I removed it...beat it the rest of the way through from the bottom...it wasn't about to go back out the way it came...