Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?

I do all the work myself, but I go to the dealer for parts, and they charge $75 an hour for service here in Western New York. Theres a small engine repair shop close to home that charges $62.50 per hour. $120 for an oil change????, thats why I do **** myself.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

I just cruise past the dealerships till I find one that says thier shop rate is "Bend Over" and I go there, cause I know that's what is going to happen but I appreciate the honesty.</end quote></div>

Amen to that.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CHAZZO

I do all the work myself, but I go to the dealer for parts, and they charge $75 an hour for service here in Western New York. Theres a small engine repair shop close to home that charges $62.50 per hour. $120 for an oil change????, thats why I do **** myself.</end quote></div>

Thats exactly why I do it myself normally, but when your in a pinch sometimes you get rolled. With me though it only happens once. I can say that particular dealer never has a chance to sell me anything anymore.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

i looked at my receipt and it says $68.50 an hour. total was $137 so two hour so they say. it was a complete service plus oil change

Old 03-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I fully understand the concern over shop labor prices and realize that some dealers lack a little customer consideration and how a lot of you guys with mechanical knowledge like to do your own wrenching! These are the people I try to help,the best I can to the best of my experience! BUT like the old saying"until you have walked in my shoes" do some REALLY know what is involved in labor rates at dealerships! Some,depending upon location, whether a multiline dealer, insurance rates,and other factors, do charge more,BUT to give an example based on our "medium" sized shop, Insurance is getting ridiculous,along with workmans comp,$3000-$4000 electric bills,dealer tools and equiptment,wages,taxes,floor rates(interest on machines that take away from profit after 30 days) inventoryTHAT HAS to be paid for up front,etc will MAYBE reach the few posters that call all dealers "STEALERSHIPS"!!! Just as an example,multiply your monthly expenses by as much as 10 times and maybe you will see why the labor rates are as they are! I along with some great guys will continue to help you fellows the best we can, BUt like i said earlier in this unusually long post,walk in my shoes for over 21 years and your eyes may be opened a little! Thanks for letting me express my side of this debate/question that has been on my mind for some time! OPT

Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Good post OPT........NoJoke

Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

I'm thinknig of having my dealer do any and all service on my bike for a couple reasons: 1) I don't have a garage to do the work in; 2) I don't have a lot of tools; 3) I want to have someone else to blame if something is not done right; 4) Support the economy, if the dealer goes out of business I won't have anywhere to get parts or a new quad when the time comes.

Nothing against guys doing work themselves, I'm hoping to have the garage and tools to do some work myself on my next quad...

Old 03-07-2009, 03:13 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Good service is worth a premium $$. If it's good service! Then I don't mind the "bend over".

Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

OPT, Running a business myself I have employees, buildings, Workmans Comp, Liability, Equipment, and tools. Plus all the head aches that go along with it. I agree certain jobs are cost more to do. For certain work with large equipment I charge up to 120/ hour. I just wanted a good cross section of what everyone is paying. Knowing how long it takes me to do an oil change 15 to 20 mins, I don't like getting the machine back in 45 minutes and getting charged for a whole 85 for 1 hour. This was more of the issue I had. This polaris takes 2 qts and a filter worth $25 by most peoples accounts and my bill was 120. So i feel over charged for the oil, filter, an labor. I agree some shop rates for some jobs are worth more$$$$, but 85 an hour for an oil change? I had a pet dog that could have done it if he only would have had a set of opposing thumbs. I think the biggest thing here is that no one can explain why a wheeler dealer is more expensive for a 2 qt oil change than an auto dealer that does an 11 qt change, shop rates being identical. This is what bites the most.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MEGA XP

OPT, Running a business myself I have employees, buildings, Workmans Comp, Liability, Equipment, and tools. Plus all the head aches that go along with it. I agree certain jobs are cost more to do. For certain work with large equipment I charge up to 120/ hour. I just wanted a good cross section of what everyone is paying. Knowing how long it takes me to do an oil change 15 to 20 mins, I don't like getting the machine back in 45 minutes and getting charged for a whole 85 for 1 hour. This was more of the issue I had. This polaris takes 2 qts and a filter worth $25 by most peoples accounts and my bill was 120. So i feel over charged for the oil, filter, an labor. I agree some shop rates for some jobs are worth more$$$$, but 85 an hour for an oil change? I had a pet dog that could have done it if he only would have had a set of opposing thumbs. I think the biggest thing here is that no one can explain why a wheeler dealer is more expensive for a 2 qt oil change than an auto dealer that does an 11 qt change, shop rates being identical. This is what bites the most.</end quote></div>

This is excessive,I must agree! Just for an oil change only! I change oil and filter,clean prefilter and main air filter,check cv boots,check for any damage and reset oil change wrench for next oil change. $37.50 plus parts.(shop labor $75 per hr) Either we are out of touch with the world OR some dealers DONT need to be dealers! opt PS. SOME dealers have a MINIMUM rate of one hour on work performed even if its a 5 minute lookover or if is put on a lift ,BUT we dont.

Quick Reply: WHAT KIND OF SHOP RATES ARE YOU FINDING?