Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Boiling Gas

Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boiling Gas

During yesterday's ride I was noticing anytime I slightly loosend the gas cap, there was a noticeable hiss and then the motor would almost immediately lose RPM. The guys behind me said it smelled like the motor was running rich also. I finally took the cap off and saw the gas "boiling." I just nursed it the rest of the day and brought it home. Noticed this evening while cleaning the mud off that the heat shield on the bottom of the gas tank was missing.

Any recommendation on what to replace the shield with? I'd like to replace it with something that is better than stock if possible to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Boiling Gas

Anybody?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Range Rover
Default Boiling Gas

Was the gas actually boiling or was it a venting problem due to higher temperature. The 700 Grizzlys had what everyone was calling boiling gas which was actually a venting problem. If it was boiling your gas tank would be very hot as well as the gas. Did you actually check the temperature at the time?
Take care,
Dave

Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default Boiling Gas

I could feel a lot of heat by holding my hand above the spout after taking the cap off. There is definetly a heat issue. I'm looking at products like this to reflect the heat

I know the Grizz had a venting issue but haven't heard of a Sportsman having the same problem.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Boiling Gas

i hadnt heard of anyone having a boiling gas issue as i would think it would vapor lock the engine but maybe not. i would be putting as you stated some type of heat reflective matial for sure and keep an eye on it as well. thats the bad part of these big bores as they throw off so much damn heat.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Boiling gas???

Went for a ride yesterday and after about 2 hours riding in 100 degree heat I could swear the gas was boiling also. When I stopped I could hear what sounded like a tea kettle wistleing noise. I removed the gas cap (lot of pressure) and could see gas bubbling or boiling in the tank. After I replaced the cap the wistleing and pressure started back up again withing a few seconds.

Did you ever find out what was going on with yours? Was it something to do with a gas tank venting problem?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Remember guys, fuel can ignite without a spark. Temperature is what causes the ignition. Don't play around with this get it fixed. Doc

Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

What machine is this issue on?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

I've read about this.......I was looking into getting a yamaha before I bought the popo......

All my research pointed to that it is not actually boiling. It is in fact a venting issue and can be caused from overfilling the fuel tank and there was also a cause listed as a poorly designed vent system.....seems like you just had to replace to replace a small valve or something......not supposed to be a big deal...like $10 or something.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

There was a nice article in ATV Action mag on cooling issues.

they make i nice kit for tanks and lines. Basicly it wraps and insulates anything with heat or cool characterics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boiling Gas